lack of Engine Braking

Trevor B

Hi All,

I have not had my Audi A3 very long, when slowing down I have noticed that if you take your foot off the accelerator the often continues to increase speed like you still have your foot on the gas. It has caught me out a few times and the wife finds this a bit unnerving. Usually dropping it in to second gear cures it. A friend of mine has an A1 which he says does the same. There feels like there is no engine braking. I wonder if this is common to Audi or whether it is some kind of engine management fault, Any ideas? 

Hi Trevor

I had this exact issue, it could be the air control valve or a vacuum leak which mine was the vacuum leak at the turbo side of things, I'd have a diagnostics run and see if it comes up with a vacuum leak, I also experienced it going into Limp mode too.

Regards

Bradley

• Like 1

Hi Trevor

I would agree with Brad-B5 about the vacuum leak which can cause these symptoms but also it may be the engine management needs recoding / resetting.

Get it checked on the VAG diagnostic equipment and see if there is an programme update to sort this.

Keep us updated on how you get this resolved.

Cheers  Trevor

2 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Hi Trevor

I would agree with Brad-B5 about the vacuum leak which can cause these symptoms but also it may be the engine management needs recoding / resetting.

Get it checked on the VAG diagnostic equipment and see if there is an programme update to sort this.

Keep us updated on how you get this resolved.

Cheers  Trevor

Agreed :)