Do saloon B6 headlights fit avants?

Jimmygnarl

Hi everyone my 1st post on here.

I had a B6 years ago and after swapping it for a T4 which I have just sold, I want a B6 again.

I'm looking at headlights on eBay etc but not sure if saloon lights fit avant's. I know cabriolet ones are completely different but can't see the difference in the others.

I am looking at doing a bi-xenon conversion.

Thanks 

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy.....welcome to the Forum

Not entirely sure what the differences between the different headlamps are but here is a link to some headlamps and also includes some aftermarket LED lamps.

http://www.audiownersclub.com/parts-results/A4-S4-RS4/Headlight-Assemblies/44240

Let us know how you get on with it all

Cheers  Trevor

Once you've figured out which housings to get, consider upgrading to bi-xenons from Retrofit Lab:

https://www.retrofitlab.com/

My car already had the factory bi-xenons so I didn't have to do the retrofit, I just replaced the projectors from ones they supplied at Retrofit.  The difference is amazing; with new bulbs (now 3 years old) my 13 year old car can compete with recent Audis and BMWs for light output.

Another advantage with the aftermaket bi-xenons I have is that they have the US style 'flat' cut-off, not the EU style slanty one.  This means they are legal in both the UK and on the continent.  No silly stick-on converters when I drive back and forth, and theoretically the car should pass the MOT in the UK as easily as the TÜV in Germany with no modifications whatsoever.  (I can confirm the car did pass the TÜV test in Germany with these new projectors, where the car is registered.)

• Like 1

Don't take my word for it that your new lights will pass MOT.  That is just theoretical knowledge, never tested by me :wink1:  (Though car has gone through two German TÜV tests without issue.)  Wouter at Retrofit should be able to give you a definitive answer before you go to the trouble of fitting them.  I don't think he'd ship to the UK (or legally be able to without labelling them as off-road only) if they wouldn't, but best to be sure.

It's funny that over on camper van and caravan forums, where you regularly see people discussing what to do about headlamps with vehicles they regularly take to/from the continent, I've never seen the suggest to fit US style projectors/reflectors.  As a solution to the problem, it's a pretty neat one.

Note that MOT testing procedure on headlights recently changed

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/the-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing/

• Like 1