Electrical intermittent faults?

Huw Jones

Hi all, i have an Audi A3 2003 8L model. It's the 1.9TDI 130bhp model & i'm having an electrical issue my local mechanic can't seem to find what may need replacing although at one point it seemed to be the steering angle sensor (not a cheap part!)?
The light for the steering control on the dash comes on & stays on then, on a new journey it might or might not be on? Added to that is the indicator light on the dash stays on now & again, as i indicate the external indicator lights up & stays on along with the light. Oddly perhaps all the bulbs are fine as are the hazards flashing properly.
Could these 2 issues be linked as they appear to activate (or not of course!) from the same arm? The main lights on the arm work fine for main beam/ flash main beam.
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Hi Huw....welcome to the Forum

My first thoughts are battery condition...if the battery is on its way out then this can cause similar issues. Easy to check with a deep discharge test to confirm.

Otherwise, its worth checking the electrical connectors under the steering column and try the 'wiggle test' with the ignition on to see if the lights display then.

Keep us updated on what you find with this one.

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the advice. Oddly my tracking indicator has been fine again now for over a week? However my indicators are still regularly staying on upon indicating left/right? Seems more likely a shortage than battery as i've had no trouble starting the old girl @ -8 degrees recently here. Wiggle test makes no difference, i've tried that. Thing is then where on earth do i start to look??? I' ll update you of course

Hello Huw,

Where on earth do a I start? Good question since the simple circuits of years ago have been supplemented by control units which control things we would ever have thought of. By what you say, it could be reasonable to suspect the indicator stalk, but as Trevor says any of the associated contacts - including the earth of 'what on earth!' may be at fault. Not being one to give up on DIY cures, but access to curcuit information, metering equipment and experience of such issues on certain models are really essential requirements. Let's hope someone might come up with a solution, but if not, sometimes a hour of an auto electrician's time might be a wirthwhile consideration.

Not sure what part of S. Wales you are from, but there is a good one man band auto electrician in Bridgend - of course there will be others. 

Hoping you get some more advise on how to cure it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 2

Hi again Trevor,

I've booked my Audi in with a local electrical place this Friday. I'll let you know what he finds.

Huw

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the advice. Oddly my tracking indicator has been fine again now for over a week? However my indicators are still regularly staying on upon indicating left/right? Seems more likely a shortage than battery as i've had no trouble starting the old girl @ -8 degrees recently here. Wiggle test makes no difference, i've tried that. Thing is then where on earth do i start to look???

• Like 1