HELP! Rattle noise front end - Audi A4 B8 2009 S line

giva4sline

Hey Guys,

I am new to forums, I have an issue here and have been trying to find the issue online for months!

Car:

Audi A4 S line 2009 B8

The issue is as follows:

• Rattle noise coming from front/mid end of the car (not sure if its inside or outside) - hard to locate.
  • at its worst after first starting up the car, driving over bumps and uneven roads.
  • Runs perfectly on dual carriage ways/motorways.
  • passed MOT has full service history, so no mechanic has been able to locate the issue but can hear the rattle.

Would anyone else have any information that could possibly locate this annoying noise? I am fed up of having to drown out the noise with music!!!

Suspension and main parts been checked by a mechanic.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help!

Thanks.

Hi Giovanni

Can you elaborate on the Rattle noise at all? is it a deep rattle or light rattle? is the car vibrating heavy too, could you give us a video as well? 

I'm going to chuck a few things out there and say it could be failing engine mounts or a loose engine cover.

Is there any smoke that comes out, leaks, overheating ect?

Regards

Bradley

Hi Bradley,

To be honest the noise is in-between a rattle and cluck/knocking sound.

no signs of any damage/smoke to indicate where this is coming from.

Only thing I can think of would be that the breaks have been squealing for about 5K miles from when I had them fitted!

These are Audi original pads and discs that were replaced, my thoughts are that it could have been the heatsheild on the rear of the break disk?

Any more ideas as to what you think it could possibly be? - I have looked online and seems although quite a few people have the same issue but no one seems to have an answer.

Cheers

Giovanni.

Ah I see, Personally I wouldn't suspect anything with the breaks.

I had this happen when I had my clutch and flywheel replaced, had it changed again under warranty and the knocking sound is going, will post a video of the sound later, tell me if that's what you also hear.

Regards

Bradley

Thanks for the video, mine is a different sound. I have an Audi technician take a look at the car last night, he seems to think the noise could be coming from the engine mount... I think it may just be a case of waiting to see if it gets worse, to properly diagnose.

Appreciate the advise/help.

Hi Giovanni

Ah okay so what I said in my first reply about it possible being engine mounts, like you say wait and see, glad I could help and keep us updated :)

Regards

Bradley