MMI Nav v myaudi Google maps?

trevorh

I've just acquired a late 2013 A6 Allroad. As to be expected, the satnav could do with updating. However, at £200 via an independent it's pretty steep. 

I see that the myaudi link allows the user of Google maps.

Hence my question; isn't it cheaper and more cost effective to pay c. £120  a year for a SIM to allow live use of Google Maps? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Thanks for your comments

Hi Trevor (great name by the way!)

I'm not overly au fait with Google Maps in Audi's but there have been a couple of posts in the past on this forum about the SIM...worth having a search though the site to see what you can find. I seem to recall that overall, this seemed to be the best option as the Audi Maps are a bit clunky.

Let us know what you decide

Cheers   Trevor

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the late response.

I finally got around to installing SIM card from 3. (£40 valid for 1 yr, 12Mb total?)

The audilink system works ok for installing new destinations set up via Google maps (only from destop version, not android) and it allows some satellite images from Google, but this is all hung around the Audi map installed. 

The live traffic works well but only on the main roads. It doesn't have the Google maps level of detail.

I haven't used the audi web access much yet, but this seems to be quite useful if you don't have a smart phone.