Need someone's opinion

Nathanc

I've just bought a mrk 1 a3 1.8t and it's had a lot of work don't to it! Including a stage 2 remape! Now it still has the standard intercooler and I'm wondering does it need a bigger on because of the remape? Also I do get a bit of lag from the turbo when I'm on long trips! Can anyone give me any advise!

Thanks  

Hi 

okay do you have any suggestions on how to get read of the lag? It doesn't do it all the time just when I been driving for a while! 

Thanks 

Have you changed the air intake at all?   Possibly drawing hot air from the engine bay?

I used to run a turbo engine (in a Rover of all cars) and used a recirculating dump valve which seemed to provide no lag at all on gear changes.

Hi I haven't but the previous owner put a k & n cone filter on it and a miltek exhaust on it when it was remapped! 

I now it has had any other dump valve fitted but not sure if it was a recirculating one or just a dump valve! If it isn't a recirculating on should I try replacing it with one and see if that helps? 

Thanks nathan 

The recirculating dump valve would only really benefit when changing gear but it is a lot better (in my opinion) than conventional 'blow to atmosphere' types.

Sounds like you are drawing hot air from within the engine bay and that is contra-beneficial to the intercooler.

You should replace the original air box with a panel filter or spend big money on a cold air intake system to resolve this.

I think tbh I have a blow of one on there, which doesn't bother me because I one ever hear it when accelerating hard! 

Is this the intercooler filter of the air filter you think I should change? 

I was told be the previous owner that there had been a fault code found the there was pressure loss between the peddle and the Turdo? What could cause that?  

It sounds like you need to sort the intake system first, also look for air leaks in the system (where it can be drawing unregulated air after the MAF sensor)

Original air filter, yes....and the MAF should be in the air intake trunking/pipe with an electrical connection. Anything that enters upstream after that will be unmeasured air and can affect the running so worth checking no splits and clamps are tight

Hi 

okay I'll check all the pipe work first and go from there! As the remap was done with the k&n filter on it, it might affect the remap as it would be able to breath as well! But will look tonight and let you know what I find! 

Thanks 

Nathanc,

Yo. So i put a Pipercross panel filter in mine. About 30squid. I recommend it. I never liked the idea of doing the old honda s2000 filter mod without fitting a box around it and some cold air feed. I guess it depends on how willing you are to start changing things under yer bonnet. I'm going for simple, subtle things. Filters, plugs, remap and then keep it really well serviced. ..

..Not really answered your question. I guess I'm trying to say that it's easier to make your car worse than better if you don't know what you are doing.

Chris

Edited by chris evans
  • Like 1

Hi okay I'll have a look into it! I think it's my re valve as it's a standard Bosch one! So going to change it for a oem one and if that doesn't sort the problem then go from there! It's one of the few places where I could be losing pressure from!