V6 Running Problems

V6Bike

I have a motorcycle with a V6 2.6 Audi engine, I believe from the mid to late 90's! It still runs the auto box and is a monster. However, she will only run for a few hundred yards and then starts missing until she eventually dies. If she is left for a while she will start again so I assume something is getting hot? I appreciate this is not a straightforward one but any ideas what it could be please?

Hello Stuart,

Well, that's something new and interesting! Is it a trike or a bike?

Anyway, as you say - a difficult one, but this could be from the period when they ran on an actual separate ignition coil, and electronic ignition via. a module in the distributor. These modules could break down and give symptoms such as you have.

Now, I could be wrong, but worth some homework, or I'm sure someone on here might come up with some more meaningful help.   

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Stuart

I think Gareth is right with his diagnosis and it probably would have been a separate fuel/ignition system used then.

So, most likely culprit would be ignition module or if it has a crankshaft sensor or trigger unit which may be faulty.

Otherwise, check fuel filter for crud if been standing for a while.

Let us know how you get on with this one

Cheers  Trevor

Assuming it's petrol? It could also be fuel evaporation. Is the fuel line close to exhaust, hot parts etc? It's obviously a very bespoke vehicle, and fast a I would presume. Might be worth wrapping hose in tin foil, quick and easy, see if it helps. If it does look for a permanent fix.

• Like 1

Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice.

I played with it over the weekend and I thought it might be the Ignition Module, so I have one on its way to try. However, I am now starting to think it might be a fuel issue. I will let you know, but if you have any other thoughts they will be most appreciated.

In the meantime, here is a picture!

Best regards Stuart

Audi Bike 11.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...