Dreaded Oil Consumption

DarellA459

Afternoon All, 

I have recently bought a 2009 Audi A4 saloon 1.8 TFSI, we have only had the car 2 weeks and the oil light has just come on. We have cover 500-600 miles and i was expecting the consumption to be high but this seems very high. Is it common or is it something to worry about? the car is still under warranty so would like any issues sorted before it starts hurting my pocket too much, Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Darrel, welcome to the forum. 

which light came on? Yellow for low level or red for low pressure?

if it was the red light then go straight beckmunder warranty.

however if it's the yellow light I would just monitor it. If you have to keep putting  oil in then how much how often?

also, how many miles has your car done?

Thanks, was the yellow one for low level, car has covered 69,000 has Audi service history. And oil and filter was changed just before we bought it. Was expecting it to use a litre every 1000-1500 miles but 500-600 seems a bit too much. Thanks though I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. 

You answered my next question, recent oil change. It could have been 100ml short maybe when it was done, when I do mine I always check the level the following day as that will be the 'true' new level. 

But yes, top her up and check it every week at least for a short while, if it's really low again within similar sort of miles 500-600 then it might be worth bringing it up with garage.

Others on here though might say it's quite normal for your engine though?? In which case just ignor everything. Have said 🤐

Hello Darell,

Sorry to hear of your concerns. I would have thought that around 250 miles to a pint ( sorry about the old language!) is not what I would consider acceptable for a 69K engine, but I do take Dan's point about what the oil level was when you took delivery. Very important, since it might just have been an oversight and filled to just above the minimum level, and obviously any oil usage is likely to throw up the low oil level light. Of course, you may have checked it when you first had it and know the level as at full.

Taking Dan's recommendation, you must return this level to the full mark with the correct grade oil (5/30 ?? - you would be to check) and monitor the consumption say per 500 miles to return to the same level.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

You Thanks for your help, topped it up Saturday with a litre as it said, being bank holiday went for a drive yesterday, this evening after work the oil light has come back on! Saying to put another litre in. I'm assuming there must be some kind of leak or issue for it do it again after only, 150 milea. Spoke to the dealer today and they have requested we take it back to them, which is another hundred miles away and there not open weekends! Very helpful! Anything I can visually check before taking it back down there? 

Thanks again for the help so far 

Hello Darell, 

I would advise being careful here, and you may well have been, but can I confirm that you have a dip stick as well as the oil level warning light? If so, just ingnore the instruction about how much oil to add - you say 1litre- but add just enough to bring the level to the full mark when cold. 

Do another 150 miles and top up (if necessary) when cold, with oil back to the full mark, measuring carefully how much you add. You can then calculate the oil consumption per 1000 miles. Beware here that you don't simply add a litre when the level light comes on, since the level indicator may be at fault.

What grade of oil are use using as a matter of interest?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I haven't checked the dipstick to be honest, will have a rummage tomorrow and have a look am using 5w30 VAG the 504/507 spec as that's what it says in the handbook 

Yep, that's a lot of oil. If the dipstick advice still shows you need to top up I would be looking for two things.

Oil leak somewhere in engine bay.

Also stick your finger into the exhaust tailpipe and feel for oily residue on your fingers. The latter would lead me to believe the turbo seals have gone. In which case the garage should stand for that on the warranty. Replacement turbo.

Just checked there is no dipstick I can find. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it back to the dealer I got it from. Is a black soot in the exhaust pipes but can't feel any oily stuff. Very annoying, thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated 

Hello Darell,

If there isn't a dipstick - and I would certainly be checking in your handbook to confirm this, and/or Googling/reference to local main dealer to confirm - then you are in possible grave danger of overfilling this engine IF the oil level sensor is faulty - and it may well be. 

As Dan says, with that oil consumption (if it is indeed consuming it as opposed to you overfilling it!) then I would believe you are going to see excessive blue smoke or oil leaks or both. 

If you don't have a dipstick then one solution to start would be to renew (only with VAG part) the oil level sensor. Then drain the oil and measure the quantity removed and compare it with the recommended refill quantity to see if it is over or under filled. Add the correct quantity of oil and road test for 150 miles and see if the light comes on again. If it idoes, you and the selling garage are in the smelly stuff. 

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.