About to buy an A4, but is it the DMF?

Greg71

Hello everyone,

I've just put a deposit on an 08 plate A4 2.0tdi se B8, multitronic, but there's a niggle.

The garage said they will sort a few little jobs on it, brake pad warning light, broken rear coil spring, give it a service, and check out a tinny irrattic rattle, which appears to be coming from behind the engine.

I started it from cold, and it was there, not very bad, couldn't hear it with the bonnet down, but noticeable slightly when it was lifted.

took it out for a test drive, and it drove like a dream. Got back, lifted the bonnet, and no irrattic rattle. It was gone. On tickover, putting a few revs on, nothing.

Ive never owned an Audi before, couldn't afford one, (thanks csa), so it is my dream car, and I'm not sure it even has a DMF, but I don't want to get caught with my pants down.

The seller said they will 'check it out', can't see them repairing it though if it's going to be expensive.

So I'm asking you Audi guru's out there, what you think? Could it be DMF or flywheel? Or something else?

Am I being over cautious or am I right?

Im paying £5250 for it, and getting a silver warranty wise 12 month warranty with it for £150.

Any replies would be greatfully received, thank you.

Hi mate. what makes you think it is the DMF? the rattle could be anything, diesels are lumpy when cold so if it goes when warmed it could just be a vibration rattle. 

However, they are expensive to have done. so one way or another you need to either be sure it isn't, or sure the warranty will cover it. After the first year its anyone's game? 

Hi Darren,

your right, it could be anything, I'm just fearing worst case scenario.

and when it's warm, there's nothing.

ill keep trying to source it.

thanks for the reply.

Hello Greg,

Obviously you are geting sound comment from Darren. Not wishing to appear critical but I wonder if you are in danger of concentrating your concerns that this may be a DMF issue - having read or listened to dome comments that they are expensive to sort out. As Darren says, it could be something completely different that you should be worried about! 

If it is indeed the DmF then I would question whether the warranty would cover it since it might be classed as a consumable component. 

If I was in your situation, I would definitely be having this car inspected  ( by a local independent) before buying. If the seller is not happy with this then simply walk away. 

Good luck with whatever you decide, but don't depend on good luck.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1