Intake Air Temperature 2 Sensor G299 - Location?

mike.s

Hi,

I have just bought a 2004 audi a3 2.0 FSi with AXW engine.

One fault code which is up all the time is P3034 - the IAT 2 G299.

Where is this located? Or a part number would be even handier :-)

Went to the local Audi dealer who gave me a price for a MAP sensor -  Doesn`t seem quite right!

Cheers, Mike

Hi,

The engine management light is on pretty much all the time. If i clear it with VCDS, it`ll come back pretty quick. The air intake temp 2 G299 error code reappears almost as quickly as i reset it.

Fault Codes that i have seen the last few days

P3034 - IAT 2 G299

P.... - Fuel Pressure Sensor (can`t recall the code)

There are also 3 cam sensor related error codes - 

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): !Removed! Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced). 

16725/P0341/000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal.

17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation

When i first drive the car, it wouldn`t start first time, although that seems to have got better - turn the engine over and it`ll start with no throttle needed now.

The car feels a little slow to pick up although once you hit 4000rpm, the power comes in.

I did feel a couple of blips when pulling away after changing gear last night which i think are what caused the fuel pressure sensor code to be thrown.

To be honest, considering the amount of codes being thrown, it drives a lot better than i`d expect!

I did notice in the receipts, just over a year ago, it had a top end rebuild - new valves and followers, cam belt, water pump, head skim and pressure tests. My gut feeling is that the cam belt had snapped and caused damage. After this work, the engine management light has been a warning at the last two mots - i suspect maybe the belt was put back on a tooth out possibly. I can get the timing checked at a good garage i know though.

I did want to fix the intake air temp code though as i think this may be related to the tough starting issue.

Cheers, Mike

If there is any doubt about cam timing then I would definitely start with checking it is accurately positioned & tensioned and also check all fundamental components and systems...e.g. air in, exhaust out, battery voltage, exhaust emissions, oil quality, etc and then look at electronic components.

Thansk - yes, i`m going to get the timing checked first off i reckon.

What about this intake air temperature 2 sensor - sounds like a 2nd air intake temp sensor - where would that be?

Well, i took the lid off the airbox at lunch. With the air filter removed, i can see the air intake sensor fixed into the exit of the airbox. Only thing is, there is no plug in it!

Looked around, but couldn`t see any obvious plugs hanging around loose. I`ll take it apart tonight and have a proper look. Maybe someone unplugged it becuase it was acting up and ran better with it unplugged.