A3 iPhone/iPod connection

Martyn85

Hi guys, two weeks into owning my first a3, it's a 2007 s line model, one thing thats got me scratching my head tho is there is a iPhone/iPod connection in the glove box, I've plugged my iPhone 7 into it and tried music but says no iPod connected. Is there certain models that it will only work with or is just iPods? It's the double din concert unit? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks 

Hi Martin

I have a similar connection and can use an IPod touch and IPod Classic.  I plug it in the go to the cd button on the stereo and scroll through until i get to AUX, EXT Source.

If the Ipod has been set to play it will then play through the car sound system, alternatively if you have a aux socket next to the handbrake, you can use the headphone output into the

that.

Hope this helps.

Graham

• Like 1

Hi graham thanks for the reply. I'm currently waiting to try a iPod touch from a family member to try first. Don't want to buy one and it won't work. Once my iPhone is connected it charges the phone but obviously nothing will play through the system. Pressed the cd button and on the the screen comes up cd5 and cd6 press cd6 and try skip and it says on the screen on the dash (one in between the clocks) no iPod connected 

Hi Martin

looking through the radio operating manual for my car. On page 15, it states, it is compatible with 3rd gen or higher Ipod (2003 onwards)  with the exception of the shuffle and IPhone and is controlled through the CD function. so hopefully the Ipod touch should be OK.  On our one, I noticed that when the charge gets low on the Ipod device the sound suffers.

Good luck Martin

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update I have just tried a iPod nano 4th gen and worked just fine. So I'm guessing the iPod touch should work aswell so I'm going to get a 4th gen and give it a try 

New update. So I bought a 4th gen iPod touch and all works great. Even Spotify works only paid £30 for it aswell so better than the £100 plus I was going to spend on a new head unit 

I never even realised I had an Ipod connection in the glove box. Not that I have an Ipod, (and to be brutally honest I don't really know what an Ipod is,) but I wonder if it can be adapted to a USB connection for playing music via the stereo.

I'm think there are cables out there that convert apple connection to USB output but not sure how well they work to be honest. You can also get the cable taken away by Audi and have a USB connection installed (pretty pricy I'm guessing on that) but what I can say is to get yourself familiar with apple and their iPods and buy one to put your music on. A iPod nano 4th generation are now only selling for around £20-£30 on eBay with plenty of storage for music 

Graham. No I don't have any sockets beside the handbrake.

Martyn. As a matter of principle I won't use anything made by Apple, (or Microsoft come to that,) for reasons we don't need to go into. I can put music on a USB stick for absolutely nothing.