Audi A4 1.8 TFSI

abbyr50

Hey guys

Just signed up and not sure if this type of post is allowed. If not just remove. Looking for a bit of advice.

What do you guys think of this deal. Audi A4 1.8L Petrol TFSI. 2008. 88k miles and is a saloon. Not an s line just basic cloth inside.

Has quite a few scratches and some chips which have been covered cowboy style with some paint by looks of it. Apart from this in really good condition.

Getting offered 4k for it. Drives Beautiful engine sounds immaculate. Just had MOT done and passed with flying colours and no advisories. Full service history also.

Thanks

Abby

20170709_163531.jpg

20170711_095134.jpg

Hey Abby, welcome to the forum :) 

on the look of it I would say it is SE spec. Iv just had a look on auto trader and all similar cars are at least £1000 more with similar mileage, colour, age etc. 

I'm assuming it's a private seller? 

What you can do is ask if you can get an independent inspection carried out. Companies such as the AA or RAC can do this. If the seller is reluctant or refuses then I would argue they or the car has something to hide. 

Also check the service history to make sure it has full history. You can ring Audi with the reg and vin number and they should be able to tell you what work it's had done at any main dealer. 

I believe these engines have a timing chain instead of a cambelt And these should last the life of the car. But check that the engine is running smoothly as replacing the timing chain is an expensive job (approx £1000) 

also you can do a dvla mot check to see what advisories or mot failures the car has had. This will also give you the mileage to see if it's consistent. 

Heres the link: 

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve 

15 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Hey Abby, welcome to the forum :) 

on the look of it I would say it is SE spec. Iv just had a look on auto trader and all similar cars are at least £1000 more with similar mileage, colour, age etc. 

I'm assuming it's a private seller? 

What you can do is ask if you can get an independent inspection carried out. Companies such as the AA or RAC can do this. If the seller is reluctant or refuses then I would argue they or the car has something to hide. 

Also check the service history to make sure it has full history. You can ring Audi with the reg and vin number and they should be able to tell you what work it's had done at any main dealer. 

I believe these engines have a timing chain instead of a cambelt And these should last the life of the car. But check that the engine is running smoothly as replacing the timing chain is an expensive job (approx £1000) 

also you can do a dvla mot check to see what advisories or mot failures the car has had. This will also give you the mileage to see if it's consistent. 

Heres the link: 

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve 

Thanks Steve for your reply much appreciated :)

Yes this is a private seller. I have had all the checks done etc it has full service history and hp check was fine. Also just checked that link put in car details and its all good.

Lets assume everything is cushtie thats a pretty good deal right? Even with the scratch's and chips which have been covered? I checked on autotrader also and found that similar mileage was more but thought its best to ask on here also.

Another thing what would be the best way to get rid of the scratch's and chips without costing me a fortune?

Thanks

Abby

Glad I could help Abby :) 

if it all checks out then yes it sounds a good deal to me. Why is the owner selling? 

Also make sure all electrical items work as they can be expensive to fix.

Well it depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are in the bonnet and front bumper then I wouldn't bother getting them sorted as they'll just come back due to stones and road debris. 

Othr than that I'd get any other looked at. Obviously most expensive option is a body shop but you do have other companies such as chips away etc. To be fair sometimes paintwork improves just with a very good buff and polish :) 

cheers

steve 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Glad I could help Abby :) 

if it all checks out then yes it sounds a good deal to me. Why is the owner selling? 

Also make sure all electrical items work as they can be expensive to fix.

Well it depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are in the bonnet and front bumper then I wouldn't bother getting them sorted as they'll just come back due to stones and road debris. 

Othr than that I'd get any other looked at. Obviously most expensive option is a body shop but you do have other companies such as chips away etc. To be fair sometimes paintwork improves just with a very good buff and polish :) 

cheers

steve 

The owner is American and going back home as his visa runs out so needs to sell quick. Some deepish scratch's on the roof and boot. Might give it a 3 stage polish or buff that is what i was thinking. Will get some prices and see from there.

Thanks again Steve, you have been very helpful :)

2 hours ago, abbyr50 said:

The owner is American and going back home as his visa runs out so needs to sell quick. Some deepish scratch's on the roof and boot. Might give it a 3 stage polish or buff that is what i was thinking. Will get some prices and see from there.

Thanks again Steve, you have been very helpful :)

Well it sounds your getting a cracking deal! :) 

couldn't agree more. Better to try polish first and then if all else fails you csn get them resprayed. 

Again, your most welcome Abby :) glad i could help! :) 

let us know how you get on with the purchase and let us know if you have any other questions :) 

cheers

steve