Rear wiper motor

Fly Fisher

Hi

I am new to this forum and own a 55 Reg 2.0 TDi, I bought the car in 2010 with 80+K on the clock and now it reads 190+k. 5 years ago I paid a garage just short of £175 to change over the rear wiper that had failed. This last week it failed again and this time I acquired  one off eBay and armed with the Haynes manual did the job myself. As a retired engineer I have an inquisitive mind so I cracked open the old one only to find that due to the design, part of it had eventually corroded and had leaked water into the internals. Whatever happened to Vorsprung Durch Technik. ?

:wallbash:

:cheers:

Welcome to the forum Robert! :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

sorry to hear the wiper broke, but glad you got it sorted! :) to be fair I have seen this issue on other VAG cars such as vw tourans for example. 

Youve done a lot of mileage in your a3! Is she running the original turbo? 

Cheers

steve 

The rear wiper motor appears to be a hot issue with many owners, looking at the web, regarding the turbo,I have not replaced it and the service book does not give any indication, so I guess it could be the original.

Every thing is fine but there is a clatter from the engine area and the garage has said that the dual mass fly wheel and clutch is on the way out - circa £900

Edited by Fly Fisher
update

1 hour ago, Fly Fisher said:

The rear wiper motor appears to be a hot issue with many owners, looking at the web, regarding the turbo,I have not replaced it and the service book does not give any indication, so I guess it could be the original.

Every thing is fine but there is a clatter from the engine area and the garage has said that the dual mass fly wheel and clutch is on the way out - circa £900

190k on 1 turbo that's good! :) 

hmm, well my view is; if the cars a good one and you like it then I would get it done. As replacing the car would cost you more. 

The age old saying goes "better the devil you know rather the devil you don't know" 

chers

steve

• 5 months later...

I’ve just joined the forum and I see there are a few posts concerning the rear wiper motor. About 5 years ago, I too had problems with the motor failing and ‘parking’ itself in the vertical position. I made a successful repair, but as this was a long time ago, please forgive the rather brief details.

I decided to investigate the motor and as can be seen in the photos, I found the motor/mechanism was in a pretty sorry state : just ready for the bin. However, rather than just bin it, I had a go at fixing it. I cleaned all of the electrical contacts and re-lubricated the mechanism (I may have also sealed/greased the metal cover?).  Since then (5+ years), the wiper has worked perfectly. The message here is, have a go a cleaning it and you may be surprised !

Wiper motor 3.jpg

Wiper motor 2.jpg

wiper motor1.jpg