4rings101

Hi All, 

I am new to this forum and was hoping people can help me out. Unfortunately i am not able to find a reasonable mechanic for Audi in my area. Does anyone know or can recommend somone in the south east area that i can trust in diagnosing my car and not adding any non needed work.

The issue i am having with my car is...when i came home from work today and switched the car off the fan stayed on and would no go off. I got worried as i have not had the car long. So i switched it back on and fan went off and i switched the car off and the fan stayed off but if i leave running for more than a minute and then switch it off the fan stays in. Your assistance would be much appreciated. Sorry for the essay!

45 minutes ago, 4rings101 said:

Hi All, 

I am new to this forum and was hoping people can help me out. Unfortunately i am not able to find a reasonable mechanic for Audi in my area. Does anyone know or can recommend somone in the south east area that i can trust in diagnosing my car and not adding any non needed work.

The issue i am having with my car is...when i came home from work today and switched the car off the fan stayed on and would no go off. I got worried as i have not had the car long. So i switched it back on and fan went off and i switched the car off and the fan stayed off but if i leave running for more than a minute and then switch it off the fan stays in. Your assistance would be much appreciated. Sorry for the essay!

Welcome to the forum Sam :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

it sounds to me like the car is just doing a diesel particulate filter (dpf) regen. This is totally normal. 

Basically the car keeps the fan on to keep the engine cool whilst it slows the particulates to be burned off from the dpf, if that makes sense. 

All Diesel engines made after 2006 will have a dpf and as such the regen is normal. The car does this so tar the dpf doesbt get blocked as this would lead to expensive repair bills. 

If you don't mind me asking what type of driving do you use the car for? Is it city or motorway driving? 

If it's city driving then I would advise you give the car a good motorway blast nice a week to allow the carbon and soot to be cleared out of the dpf. You've probably seen this on other diesels when a big puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust. 

Dont eorrybabout the essay, my response is just as long! 

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

Steve 

First get a vcds scan done for any faults. It could be a faulty sensor ... . Any garage should be able to do it (£30+)

Audi used to do a free health chech last year, might be worth checking if they still do . https://m.audi.co.uk/owners-area/maintaining-your-audi/audi-health-check.html

Here is a map that you can find others who have vcds and do a check for small fee ( map works on pc better then phone )

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=134957

Cheers niedzial1983 i may book my car in for a free inspection, my nearest Audi is only 14 miles away says i get a free health check and cam belt check so if its free may as well get it done and then have a written report on what to get done now or in the near future.