Oil recommendations

Fatbloke

Hi All

What oil is recommended for 8v 2.0 TDI 150?

I have started using Quantum in the Skoda VRS and is is fine. That's what the Skoda dealer's use.

What do the Audi dealer's use and would the Quantum be ok? It is 507 spec.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-Longlife-5W-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-Bottle/262898752867?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D3a38d46e38cb4226a495433a2d6f53e9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D261066122885

Cheers

Dave

Hi David

I would totally recommend Quantum and as you say it is dealer recommended. 

You can experience problems with using non-VAG approved / specification  oils especially problematic on the PD engines so not worth taking a risk in my mind

Hello David,

I'm very much with Tevor on this, having used it in a now 140k 1.6 A3 since VAG recommended it. The car had been run previously on Longlife 3 on the longlife service schedule, but now its having a quieter life -  but I still use the Longlife one even though I change it (and the filter) every year.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hello David,

I always use main dealer filters bought at discount, since I consider the savings on a DIY oil and filter change warrant spendingmthat small amount more over buying cheap filters. If I do deviate from main dealer filters then I try to use only Mann as an alternative, but would avoid ones carrying (now bought out) brand names which we used love and respect.  

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

I will get the ones from Audi to begin with but someone makes them for Audi. I just need to find out the make and part number.

I understand what you are saying about 3rd party filters but for our Boxster, I was using filters from Porsche and discovered they were a Hengst E14H D77 in the Porsche box. They were less than half price for exactly the same filter. I will start using these now as they are what Porsche use.

• Like 1

Hello David ,

Yes, OK "use Audi for now" but I notice the car is just a year old ( if we are talking the same car here) and if so it's obviously under warranty and I wonder about any degree of DIY on this,  even using Audi parts. 

My view is DIY oil changes equals significant cost savings, so buying the proper filters simply has a very minimal % on cost and not worth the bother over aftermarket. Not even a pint of beer over a 1000 miles of use??

Audi filters (and other parts) at discount? You could try Rainesworth Skoda (Skoda Parts Shop on EBay) .I'm sure there are others. 

Porsche Boxter DIY oil changes and a search for cheap filters?

Well David, they say the Welsh have deep pockets and short arms! No offence - after all, we have confirmed your cheaper Quantum oil is fine and given you a contact source for cheaper genuine filters. Must be worth a wee dram!

Seriously, 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1