Grille surround removal?

Scurrminator

Hey all

i purchased my A3 a few years ago and ever since then the paint has been slowly chipping away on the grille surround. I suspect that this was a poor custom job as underneath is the regular chrome style. 

I wish to sell the car soon so need to rectify this by either stripping the paint off or touching it up. Is the surround easy to remove? I know taking the whole grille off is a HUGE pain. Also any suggestions on how to remove the paint would be grand! 

Added some images; sorry for the dirt a3 fans!

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

Hey Rob welcome to the forum :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

i know to remove the grill is a huge pain but luckily the surround should just unclip. You'd be better taking it off to strip it as you run the risk of over spill onto the bumper! 

Iv attached an image I came across on another site that shows you how it clips in. As well as a PDF walk through to take the bumper off to take the whole grill off, if that's what you choose to do :) as can be seen it is from a motorsport company. 

Hope iv helped :) 

Also What car are you changing to? 

cheers 

steve 

av-1006_7-II.pdf

IMG_5096.JPG

Hi Steve

That is super useful thankyou. It did look like it just unclipped but didn't want to test it too much and damage the grille. I shall attack it gently with a Flathead screwdriver soon and see how I get on.

One thing - the pdf doesn't seem to have attached. Never mind got it working now!

I'm moving to a VW Tiguan. Need a bigger family size SUV and the Audi Q range just does nothing for me unfortunately :-( I will be back to Audi one day though once the little one is bigger; this car was amazing!

Nick (not sure where Rob came from!)

2 hours ago, Scurrminator said:

Hi Steve

That is super useful thankyou. It did look like it just unclipped but didn't want to test it too much and damage the grille. I shall attack it gently with a Flathead screwdriver soon and see how I get on.

One thing - the pdf doesn't seem to have attached. Never mind got it working now!

I'm moving to a VW Tiguan. Need a bigger family size SUV and the Audi Q range just does nothing for me unfortunately :-( I will be back to Audi one day though once the little one is bigger; this car was amazing!

Nick (not sure where Rob came from!)

Glad the pic was useful :) 

sorry the PDF didn't work, itbwont let me link it properly unfortunately :/ 

the Tiguan is a nice car :) and I know what you mean about the Q cars. Excluding the Q7! Which is a gorgeous car! 

Sorry for calling you Rob! (Oops lol). Think I responded to another a3 post and he was called Rob and had the name Rob on the brain lol

Cheers

steve