Audi ignition key stiff to turn - changing barrel

Labrathor

Hello guys, 

I went through lots of forums to find answers for my problem which is issue with key. Whne in ignition its very difficult to turn it. It's not steering lock its actual ignition. I always need to find position while pushing on to the key to actually get it to turn and start the car up.

As I went through other forums I've found that issue will be either ignition switch which is couple of quid or the actual barrel. I did not find though an actual answer to my main question.

If I change switch and it will work then problem sorted. If I'll change barrel and as know that comes with key and lock for door and boot - do I need to get someone to reprogram the key for the car (make sense to me ) or can I get away with pulling out immobiliser chip from old key and putting it in to new key?  I never really did this procedure on any of my other cars so I wonder if that would be a way. Obviously there is then a procedure to program key for fobs with holding button etc.... Is someone able to help me out to answer this question before I get started?

Other part of my question is this. My current car is 2003 Audi 1.9TDI sport. My previous one was Skoda Superb 2.5TDi and I still have that car on garden breaking for parts. I haven't looked on to parts number yet but it seems like both Superb and Audi do have same ignition part number 4B0905851 and then letter ( G,F,N,...) I know that this ignition worked fine with no issues. would I be able to - if numbers do match - make a swap and again change immo chip in this case in to Skoda key and use that? 

I'm sorry for silly questions. I can do anything from changing a wheel to fixing clutch all on my garden but never really got involved in to electronics unless it's black on black and red on red :) 

Thank you all in advance. I'm ready to buy parts from local Audi spare parts shop but if I can use the ones currently sitting on my front yard that would be handy. 

This is an interesting one for sure. 

Firstly hats off to u for doing things yourself like this. I hate electrics too, there rarely seems to be any logic behind a fault!!

I would say that if the part numbers are correct then the swop should in theory work BUT that just for the ignition. Will the locks fit wfrom the boot and drivers door too. 

Look up a local independent lock smith who deals with vehicles. Speak with them and ask if it will need reprogramming. You could have him booked in at 3pm, do the work in the morning and then cancel him if you don't need him?

However, having had a lock barrel changed in my T5 I would say the cost of paying an independent to do this was worth the pennies for me!! Much lower stress levels lol.