changing headlamp bulbs

geoffretired

I have just fitted Philips Racing Vision H7's for the dipped beam. I struggled with the twisting of the connector having managed to get the lamp looking like it was in the right place( viewed from the front of the car) It was so tricky that I can't say for sure that it is fully in properly.

I do a lot of little machining jobs at home and feel I could make something that would help with the fitting process. Imagine a sparkplug socket, to allow the turning to be done from just outside that deep hole that I struggled to get into with my big hand.

What would be really useful is a picture of the inside of the lamp from the back, showing how the hole is shaped and where any cut outs are positioned.

I can't quite figure out why it is so difficult to turn the bulb /holder. I wonder if the surfaces get very dry and if a lubricant of some kind would help.

Hey Geoff, 

i think the main problem is a lack of access to the rear of the lights. Fabricating a tool sounds like a good idea :) 

i don't think you can lubricate the back of the lights due to the nature of the electrics. 

Iv found this video, it may help :) 

iv been unable to find any pics of the headlight bulb holder, sorry. 

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all your efforts. The video from the bottom row of options shows the guy fitting the same bulbs as mine. Sadly he doesn't show the connector block clearly enough for me to make a tool to fit it without taking mine out again.

removing the bumpers etc might come in useful though. Cheers for your time.

Geoff