On the hunt for an A3

Reggie91

Hi all,

I'm brand new to audi's and German cars for that matter. 

I currently own a Honda Integra Type R Dc5, which is slowly turning more track orientated. As a result I'm on the look out for a daily driver. This is where the audi a3 comes in.

So I'm looking for one around 2004-2006 1.9 or 2 TDI. I have a budget on around 2.5k so I'm not expecting anything amazing, but just want a good runner with good history that's been well maintained. 

I'm just wondering if you guys could give me some pointers as to what to look out for in terms of service history etc for a car with >100k on the clocks. 

Thanks

Reggie 

16 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Ensure the cambelt and water pump were changed. It should have been done at about 70000 miles.

Thanks Clifford. I've read about that. Anything else i'd need to be on the look out for? 

Check the gearbox (if 7 speed) for any whines when you let off the throttle. Namely 5th gear. Go to 60 -  70 MPH in 5th and let off the throttle and listen for a high pitch whine. 3 of my friends have had an issue with them.

Check front suspension wishbones etc when full lock turns at different speeds, obviously listen for knocks and vibration.

When you lift the engine cover on a BKD, the 4 mounts are pretty poor. One in particular sits next to an aluminium coolant pipe which, if not seated correctly will cause it to wear and burst. Check for repairs here. See Image.

image.thumb.png.8d23938a62ddcca6ffedb5cea04df38c.png

Notice, the red circles are the mounts and the yellow area you should check for damage.

Check the previous MOT's of the vehicle by entering the reg on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and it will display all known MOT results pass and fail.

2.0TDI BKD Clutch and DMF will cost around £700 from an inexpensive garage

Also, rear handbrake causes some issues as the caliper springs get dirty and don't pull the cables back after a while, check if both sides are adequate. This is an easy fix though.

Hi Reggie,

I just brought a 2004 A3 2.0tdi with 109k on the clock. I got it for a cracking price of £1650, it has a full service history too. What i would look for is one that has had its Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel done (mine had it done earlier this year) as these are expensive repairs, Full Service history as the 2.0tdi engine needs more care than the older 1.9tdi one. Usual checks when driving for any unwanted knocks or bangs. Try and go for the best spec you can, i managed to get a Sport model with the Concert CD and 6 Disc changer plus Bose! Means you get the added beneifits of Auto Climate Control. Ive got to say bearing in mind its 13 years old it drives like new, even my missus says it feels like the newer audi's i had when i had a company car. Make sure EVERYTHING works. As Clifford said, cambelt and water pump should have been done, but not the end of the world if it is due again as its nowhere near as expensive to get it done as it used to be. 2.0tdi comes in 2 powers the 140 (which i have) and the 170 quattro. The 170 does have a DPF fitted and of course the 4 wheel drive system, check to see if anything has been done with these (especially the quattro as it does need regular servicing) the 170 is also higher in road tax too! Overall though if its been well looked after you should be able to get a cracking one for your budget!

IMG_1682.JPG

2 minutes ago, Shortie1979 said:

Hi Reggie,

I just brought a 2004 A3 2.0tdi with 109k on the clock. I got it for a cracking price of £1650, it has a full service history too. What i would look for is one that has had its Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel done (mine had it done earlier this year) as these are expensive repairs, Full Service history as the 2.0tdi engine needs more care than the older 1.9tdi one. Usual checks when driving for any unwanted knocks or bangs. Try and go for the best spec you can, i managed to get a Sport model with the Concert CD and 6 Disc changer plus Bose! Means you get the added beneifits of Auto Climate Control. Ive got to say bearing in mind its 13 years old it drives like new, even my missus says it feels like the newer audi's i had when i had a company car. Make sure EVERYTHING works. As Clifford said, cambelt and water pump should have been done, but not the end of the world if it is due again as its nowhere near as expensive to get it done as it used to be. 2.0tdi comes in 2 powers the 140 (which i have) and the 170 quattro. The 170 does have a DPF fitted and of course the 4 wheel drive system, check to see if anything has been done with these (especially the quattro as it does need regular servicing) the 170 is also higher in road tax too! Overall though if its been well looked after you should be able to get a cracking one for your budget!

IMG_1682.JPG

very clean looking motor :o

Not quite this clean now mind!!! Gotta say so impressed with it, the previous owner had done some nice little mods too (S3 Mirrors, all round tinted windows, Zenon headlights which are awesome) I've added an armrest (sadly not an official Audi one as they are rather pricey!) Feel like i robbed the guy to be honest, so much car and quality for the money and 47mpg! Bargain!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, some good tips here.

I'm going to look at two this Saturday. Luckily one is near my Honda tuner so i can get him to have a look at that one.

Wish me luck!  

• Like 1