Engine won’t stop

Royleblue

My wife went to stop the engine in her TT today (2016 1.8 Sport Manual) and she couldn’t. She tried moving forward and back and it still wouldn’t stop. The only solution was to stall the engine. It has behaved itself since then.
Anyone else seen this?

Hi Phil, sorry you're having issues. IV had a look.on.google but not much has turned up. I'm wondering though if this is caused by a faulty ignition switch? 

As your TT is still under warranty it might be worth you getting it booked in at audi. You.may find d there may have been a recall in relation to.this issue. 

Sorry if I've told you how to suck eggs! 

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Steve

Thanks for your answer.

She was outside an independent garage we have used and the mechanic had a quick look but couldn’t offer any answers. She thought that the switch felt like it was stuck so maybe it is faulty. If it happens again we’ll get it checked out by the dealer under warranty.

I’ll keep you posted.

23 minutes ago, Royleblue said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for your answer.

She was outside an independent garage we have used and the mechanic had a quick look but couldn’t offer any answers. She thought that the switch felt like it was stuck so maybe it is faulty. If it happens again we’ll get it checked out by the dealer under warranty.

I’ll keep you posted.

Yea does sound like this could be the cause. Your best bet is to get it booked into Audi. As Piotr said they'll be able to do a diagnostic check at the very least :) 

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

Moved the car out of the garage this morning without problem. Went back about 10 minutes later and it won’t start. The switch definitely doesn’t feel right.

I think a call to the dealer is required.

18 minutes ago, Royleblue said:

Moved the car out of the garage this morning without problem. Went back about 10 minutes later and it won’t start. The switch definitely doesn’t feel right.

I think a call to the dealer is required.

Sounds like its the button . Let us know what the dealer says :)

The AA are on their way.

i went to try it again and the switch was not moving. As I opened the door the ignition came on and I couldn’t turn it off. Managed to start the engine and move the car. Stopped it again no problem.

Called the dealer first and they told me to call the AA.

Update:

Roadside Assist arrived about 20 minutes after I called. Took him about half an hour to work out how to get to the switch - removed the plastic ring around the gear lever to lift the gaiter. He could then push the switch out from underneath. He has ordered a new switch and will come back tomorrow to fit it, so no trip to the dealer is required. That’s what I call service.

10 minutes ago, Royleblue said:

Update:

Roadside Assist arrived about 20 minutes after I called. Took him about half an hour to work out how to get to the switch - removed the plastic ring around the gear lever to lift the gaiter. He could then push the switch out from underneath. He has ordered a new switch and will come back tomorrow to fit it, so no trip to the dealer is required. That’s what I call service.

That's fantastic service! I do like the AA (on the whole) far better than the RAC from my experience.