A1 1.6diesel misfire

Rob F

Hi. Looking at buying A1 1.6 tdi. Full history etc cam elt done etc . Went to test It, there is a misfire when cold. White smokes. Any one had any issues. It' done 56k it' a 2011. Thanks Rob

Edited by Rob F
Forgot mileage

Hello Rob,

Well spotted in noticing this issue. If it were me, I would be proceeding from here with caution, since this car obviously has a known problem and I think it is not unusual for all cars of this age will have (further) faults which might not manifest themselves until it is purchased and used. 

I would guess it goes as read that this car is not being sold by an Audi dealership ( too old), but can we take it it is being sold at a used car lot - or is it a private sale? My first port of call would be to inspect the V5 and find out how long the last keeper has owned it. Short ownership? bad sign - walk away quickly. If a reasonable period of ownership then I would be contacting the owner and have a chat about their experience of the car. If it's a private sale then I would again walk away unless it is very cheap and you are prepared to spend money. 

Back to the problem:- could be one or more suspect injectors ( at c £150 each - don't quote me, could be more or less), or possibly water entering a cylinder via a faulty head gasket or similar. Full service history is fine, but it certainly is not the be all and end all of any guarantee of freedom from mechanical issues. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth.