CHanging tyres

Ade132

Hi,

My daughter has recently bought a 2009 Q5 and one of the rear tyres has a nail in it. Regarding changing the tyre, can she change the single tyre or must it be a pair?

Thanking you in advance,

Ade

Adrian,  I think it depends on how the nail is situated in the tyre. Go to a reputable tyre company and see if they will repair it first.

Hello Ade,

As Adrian advises. Don't quote me on specifics, but work on a rule of thumb that if the nail is within 1inch of the sidewalk then it's unlikely to be legally repairable.

Changing in pairs?  Others more knowledgeable than I on these vehicles will advise, but I think tyre depth on all wheels should be reasonably equal. In any case, for me, I dislike uneven tread depths on the same axle and particularly mismatched brands or tread patterns.

Good luck with getting it sorted. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for all the replies. My daughter went to a local tyre fitter. She had 3 nails in the tyre and it couldn’t be repaired. She only needed one new tyre as the other tyre was nearly new and the tyre tread was within the allowed tolerance.

Many thanks,

Ade