What are the differences between the 218, 245 and 272 bhp models

SBirkett

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2015 3.0 TDI and whilst looking at three models with different bhp ratings, 218, 245 and 272, I would like to know if this is just a tuning restriction or is there a significant difference between the engines? I ask because a Stage 1 remap reports that all three models will be 320bhp after the remap. The 218 is far cheaper on tax as the co'2 emissions are rated a lot lower compared to the 272. If there is no real difference then I may as well purchase a 218 model. Just curious as I was looking at the 272 model to be honest.

Steve.

• Like 1

The 320 is BiTurbo, the others are S-Tronic with the lowest powered one probably multitronic. I'm wondering if the differences are the size of the air intake and cooler etc? Research ongoing. 

Decided to go for the 272 version.

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

Is there any more information on these engine differences?

I'm currently looking for a biturbo for the power however if the block is the same won't a map, turbo, intercooler, air box and exhaust bring it up to the 300bhp mark? 

Thanke

Try Wikipedia as a starting point as this list information on different engines and gearbox combos. You need to decide if you want low tax or BHP then what your budget is. BITD 313 - 326 PS 650 to 700+Nm. These have tiptronic 8speed transmission. Tunable to around 400bhp.

Thanks Neil,

Im finding it so hard to get information on these engines and gearboxes.

Ive been googling for weeks now 😂

Do you know where I could find information such as gearbox max nm etc.?

Ive thoroughly read through wikipedia, however I am looking for more information on the engine such as injectors and their capabilities etc.

Thanks