Older A6 cleaning and touch up paint advice please

10lbtench

Hi all

Ive read through the posts re cleaning routines, and Autoglym products seem popular but they seem to be for newer models, is this product still ok for an 03 , or are there more suitable products for older metallic paintwork ?. 

Had a bad experience this week with a cheap Eastern euro carwash sending all my silver ally milky so bought some Mothers Mag & Aluminium polish which has managed to get the vast majority of it off :  ), but how do i protect the roof rails and window trims from further dulling?

I checked out Dr Colourchip as recommended on here but cant find Atlas Grey in their options are there any other recommended products for chip repair?

Also headlight kits, any recommendations or will toothpaste do the job?

Sorry about all the newbie questions , but so want to keep my new found love shining :  )

Thanks in advance

A6 1.jpg

Hi Andrew i use Autoglym  on my 57 plate and it does a good job inside and out, i dont put my car though a car wash i dont trust the chems they use and car is never really clean afterwards 

Hello Andrew,

I'm very much with Paul on all of this. 

I would avoid pressure lance operators - from far east of the Thames estuary or not. The chemicals used will take the skin off your hands and unless accurately diluted, will turn lacquer milky in no time at all. I could point to 'well kept' cars which have been wrecked by the process, but the owners seem oblivious to the cause. 

Its bucket, and wax shampoo for me, but the £5 wash is still more attractive to some. 

Autoglym:- Again I can only support Paul's experience of using their products. I've been using them since they were first introduced - when I had hair! Tried others in between but still come back to them. There may be better products, but.....

Suitable for use on 'older' cars? Been using their resin polish on a couple of cars since it came out, and these cars are now over 80 years old! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks guys, looks like Autoglym going to be getting my loyalty then. Have found a great product to deal with the milky ally as well, lance cleaners where not interested in rectifying there over use of chemicals and insufficient rinsing and drying as I couldn't prove that it wasn't like that before I visited them. Never again!! 

Ah the local scrach and swivle are bad for the paint. They use acid based chemicals and wash mits coverd in crap ! 

Re products you need to try few and see what works good for you. There is no specific for the age of the paint. I like autoglym but i also use poorboys and maguires , i have pro kleen snowfoam and for interior i use baby wipes 🙂

Also its woth watching Ammo in youtube to get some ideas. He is a pro !

the milky bars are a pain. You can try some aluminium polish paste but i dont think you can do much about 

So after hours scouring the internet i found this bad boy...only did small part to test, just two applications with a soft cloth  with firmish rubbing and hey presto. Just gotta find 3 spare hours to do the rest :  )

rails.jpg

rails 2.jpg