A3 2.0 TDI (138) S Line help on purchase

Michael_86

Hi, 

im just after some advise on a potential purchase, I’m looking at maybe taking the plunge but just after a little help on what to look out for on these cars.

I have viewed a 56 plate 2.0 TDI 138 with 82k on the clock for roughly 4K, I didn’t have test drive today as it would of taken them a while to get it out so I will go back in a few days, I did fire it up and seemed to sound ok when revved, I could feel a slight judder on idle sat in the drivers side, I did ask to pop the bonnet and it looked like the engine was shaking a little not much but enough for me to notice if that makes sense (not sure if that’s because it’s a diesel) I’m just after advise on what to look out for with these cars as it will be my first a3 purchase and really don’t fancy a big bill straight off the bat.

any help much appriciated!!

cheers

Hello Michael,

If I was only allowed to give you one piece of advice, it would be to obtain the name of the previous recorded keeper and get in touch regarding the full story of this car. Not often done, in preference to 'has it got full service history etc?' , but the facts about this car lies with the previous keeper. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you for the reply Gareth, I have since been back in touch with garage asking about the service history and previous owner but they dont have any details as it sounds like the car was just passed on from another trade seller so it might be a little difficult to get everything, It does have service history but not full.

I have done a little research on this model and apparently injectors and flywheel are pretty common problems on the 2.0 TDI and a pricey fix, I believe it could have an injector issue with the shaking and running rough on idle, head over heart i think it needs some work albeit the car being in mint condition!

Hello Michael,

Postive, some service history apparently, but personally, I would want to see evidence of that. 

No information on previous keeper = either they don't have a V5, to they don't want to give you the detail off the V5. The former is possible if it's a sale-or-return trade car. 

Known issues? You could be right regarding injectors, and if so this is going to be a relatively costly fix for them - or for the buyer. 

If I were in your situation I would ask a direct question. Do you have the V5 available? If answer is 'no but we can get it' then I would suggest you leave your contact details with them, and ask them to be in touch when they have it. You may hear back from them, but.... 

Mint condition? Very few are in genuinely mint condition. Appealing condition? Yes. Even the scruffiest of cars can be detailed to look appealing. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.