On the A8 or A8L Fence. HELP!

HoneyBadger

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I’ve had a 2013 A8 v6 for the past 5 years now and am contemplating selling it for a 2014 A8L v6, I know this sounds kind of crazy, but keep reading. My current A8 has 39.5k miles on it and needs new front brakes, tires in a few months and $35k maintenance soon ($2,900). I’ve always liked the L version and really like the Ice Silver Metallic that would be a nice change from my current Phantom Black, it also has same black interior like my A8, but no black headliner. The L version has the same options as my A8, has 28k miles and they just did the 35k maintenance on it. CarMax has offered me $23k for my car (I have until Wed to decide to sell it), I have a dealership that says they’ll beat that price and I’m going tomorrow to see what they offer me. The 2014 will be $30,244 out the door. If you add $23k and ~$3k in the car It’s $26k, but for $4k more I can get the A8L. Heres a breakdown I’ve made:

Vehicle 2013 A8 
Price $0 (Paid off)
Mileage 39,500
Maintenance $1,200 (35k & 45k) - Audi Care
Brakes $600 (EBC Red and rotors)
Tires $1,100
——————————————————————-
Total $2,900 Out of pocket (CarMax $23k offer)

Vehicle 2014 A8 L 
Price $30,244 ($7k to buy)
Mileage 28,000
Maintenance $1,200 (45 & 55k) - Audi Care
Brakes $0
Tires $0
———————————————————————
Total $8,200 (5,300 difference) Out of pocket

I love my wingman, but the Silver L is so nice. I’m on the fence any thoughts and or suggestions?

HoneyBadger

Hello Mr. Honey Badger,

Welcome to the forum.

I think we have all been in a similar situation to yours with vehicles at some point.

Boiling this down, I get the impression that you 'fancy a change', and are quite logically setting up some sort of economic justification to buy a car which you fancy more than the one you have.

Nothing wrong with that, but I would break your consideration down to go with what you really want to do, if you can afford it. As I see it simple economics point to to spending out more money to do that, so if it's economics, then you will tend to stay with what you want. If it's heart, you will exchange it. 

Of course, others may possibly have alternative points of view on this. 

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth.