Timing belt help

Superman

Hi Guys and gals,

I have just bought an Audi A1 S Line Black Edition, 2 ltr diesel, 2012 plate with 64,000 on the clock. Should this of come with a timing belt change? is this due?

It has full-service history, up to the middle of 2017.  Would like to bring this up with the garage before the warranty runs out.

Your help is much appreciated

Hello Alan, 

My first port of call would be trawl through the service history by checking with the servicing garages ( main dealers?) when this belt was last changed. 

I guess you would have bought this from a non Audi dealership, due to the age if the car, but irrespective, I think you will find that cam belt changes are 'service items' and would not form part of a warranty cover - very much like tyres etc. needing changing from time to time.

Personally, even if they were prepared to make some form of contribution, I would be wary of entrusting the job to them since it is highly likely to be 'lowest cost option', and as such, after market parts could be used, rather than VAG parts. If so, and the water pump is changed, then aftermarket pumps can be of variable quality and serviceability - with potentially frightening consequences. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth,

The garage and I have spoken, it appears they did a full service when obtaining the car. They have agreed to update the service book, also spoken to the previous owner who cannot remember having the belt done.  The garage has agreed to pay half of the cost for Audi to replace the belt kit and water pump.

Not a bad result to be fair.

Hello Alan,

Many thanks for updating us on this. 

The garage you bought the car from appears to be very accommodating on this - really well beyond the 'call of duty', and all you now need is some written confirmation (can be done by you e-mailing them along the lins of .....  further to our earlier conversation ......) that they will reimburse you half the cost of you getting the belt kit and water pump renewed at an Audi dealer. 

Is it yet due for renewal though?

You will need to contact a dealer, or couple of dealers to be certain of sound advice, and asking them for the interval at which this needs doing. It will always be x miles or x years, whichever comes first. There is something in my mind which points me to 80k or 8 years, but please do not take this as read. There could be a question mark over whether the belt assembly on this 6year old/ 64K car is actually due yet.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Yes this has all been done in writing. The garage called Audi for confirmation. They said the belt is due at 120K miles, or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Also as you rightly said, along with the water pump.