Electronic Park Brake light/fault.

Jim70

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on the electronic park brake. My car has come up with a park brake fault 2 or 3 times now over the last couple of weeks.

I don't know if it's the caliper sticking or an electrical fault and the light only comes on randomly after the car has been parked.

The P symbol comes up within a red triangle on the dash with a line through it and also a message saying the auto-hold function not available.

Also, the light on the park brake button on the console flashes red. It only does this for a short time and after stopping and starting a couple of times it seems to clear again and all works fine.

When it faulted yesterday I stopped purposefully on an uphill and applied the park brake via the button as normal but the rear brakes seemed to only be holding the N/S/R wheel and not the O/S/R which makes me think it's more of a mechanical issue with the caliper of the O/S/R.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

James 

Thanks for your reply. I can hear the motor going when I pull the epb button but it's only holding the rear left when it's faulting. I had the rear right wheel off and disconnected the connection to the motor, cleaned and sprayed with contact cleaner but it still did it once after that but hasn't done it since and that's about a week now so I'll see how it goes. 

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Petrol head said:

Hey James,

Has it resolved ?

Hi,

Since I cleaned the electrical contacts to the EPB motor and cleared the fault code a while ago now it's been fine. About 2/3 weeks ago the same fault appeared but it cleared itself without me doing anything so I'm assuming it is just a poor/dirty connection. I'll keep any eye on it and have another look if the fault reappears.

Have you had the same problem?

19 hours ago, Jim70 said:

Hi,

Since I cleaned the electrical contacts to the EPB motor and cleared the fault code a while ago now it's been fine. About 2/3 weeks ago the same fault appeared but it cleared itself without me doing anything so I'm assuming it is just a poor/dirty connection. I'll keep any eye on it and have another look if the fault reappears.

Thank you so much James.

Actually i don't have the concern..in future it may help me and others too.

Have a good day 🙂

Cheers

• 9 months later...

Hi!

I have the same problem. It keeps appering after 2-3 weeks with a light on the dasboard and a flashing p button on the dash. When i start the car again the fault disapears...

Hmm.. Keeps happening every two to three weekss..How did u solve it?

Cheers

On 8/6/2019 at 12:36 PM, Jim70 said:

Hi,

How did u clean the contacts to the EPB motor?