Need help! Strange noise from Audi A4 engine

Khoops

I drove from Brighton to Carlisle today for work, around 340 miles. Pulled over at the services and could hear a noise from the engine, best way to describe it is almost like a bumper being dragged a long the tarmac. The sound is a little intermittent and only disappears when I rev to just under 2000rpm then it sounds completely normal again.

The car still drives like normal but I don’t want to make any problems get worse! Any help would be great, cheers! 

Hello Kieran, 

Having not listened to your video ( hearing too bad!) I would be concerned about the possibility of a 'flappy' cambelt hitting the plastic cover. Do you know when the belt was last changed? Could be completely wrong. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth thanks for your message. The plastic cover do you mean the one over the engine? I removed that today to make sure it wasn’t that vibrating. From the service history it shows it was changed in 2013, it’s hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from but it seems lower down towards the back of the engine. I’ve had a look at a lot of videos and can’t find anything that’s a similar noise, just hoping I can get it home with no problems!

Hello Kieran,

No I don't mean the engine cover, but the belt cover. 

My strong advice would be to get this looked at at a garage local to where you are - without delay. This car is trying to tell you something!

Personally, I would not be attempting any (should be in caps.) journey without getting it looked at first. 

Kind regards,

Gareth,