1997 A4 2.8 for sale

I am selling a 1997 A4 2.8 saloon (midnight blue) and wonder if it is of any interest. I’m only the second owner and I’ve owned it for the last 17 years. Only broken down once in that time (starter motor).

Can’t get it MOT’d as I’ve been quoted over £3,000 to have the ABS system replaced.

It’s had a new stainless twin cat exhaust fitted in the last 6 months, also new rear pads & discs in last 6 months. Starter motor is relatively new. Spare wheel is unused. Brand new windscreen fitted in expectation that it would pass it’s MOT which I believe it would had it not been for the ABS issue. All the electrics work and the interior (black leather) is very clean.

Open to offers if it’s of any interest. 07825 163188. The car is in Norfolk.

Hi, dashlight intermittently ( mostly) comes on, brakes all seem to work ok. They said they could try an abs pump repair kit initially and if that didn't work then something else, but they didn't identify any specific components.

Hi Brendan,

To me, this diagnosis and estimate for repair would be totally unacceptable. It must be possible to narrow down the offending part - which may be as simple as a ABS wheel sensor or a corroded toothed ring. Of course, it may be an ABS unit, but even so - £3000?? 

Secondhand part if ABS unit? If it were mine, I would most certainly be seeking a second opinion on this. 

Of course, if you have/already had in your mind to change the car, then that's fine. If you are selling it simply on the current diagnosis, then I would seriously think twice, and get a second inspection on the car.

Kind regards,

Gareth.