Steering issue

Wayne ledson

Hi first post on here but after bit of advice I recently became owner on a 2013 audi a5 coupe 1.8tfsi love the car but noticed an issue with steering not sure if it's common to audi but sometimes when driving mostly low speed it feels as though steering is very vague and feels as if its turning wheels without any input from me car is still under warranty and haven't checked tracking or wheel balance as yet but just curious if anyone else had this issue 

Hello Wayne,

Sorry to hear of your concerns, and I think you are right in expressing any concerns about steering issues.

If this was my car I would be contacting the seller without delay and notifying them of the issue, and asking for the car to be thoroughly inspected as soon as possible.

I certainly would not have any alignment or balancing assessment carried out, since quite rightly, the seller could claim that your adjustments have contributed to the issue. 

All I would be doing prior to the sellers inspection, would be to note the tyre makes, how they are wearing across the treads (taking photos would be good) and to ensure the all round tyre pressures are as the handbook lists for your tyre size.

Perhaps you could let us know what you find, and how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.          

• 3 weeks later...

Hi well finally got car sorted turned out it was a mismatch of front tyres they changed them for back ones and car is perfect very happy but even happier as garage are going to replace all tyres free of charge as a good will gesture the difference is amazing can't wait to get new tyres fitted 

Thanks for posting an update, so many people never bother.

My A6 had terrible grip in the wet, the back end squirrelling side to side under even the slightest acceleration around a corner. I thought I had bought a lemon. It was the mix match tyres causing it. Even though they were plenty legal, the difference in age and tread was enough to throw the balance out. I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres on all corners and the car was transformed.

You just wouldn’t think that ‘odd’ tyres could make such a difference to handling but with all the clever electronics these days they seem to get incorrect signals and try to compensate through diffs etc causing bad handling. Well, this is what I have been led to believe.

I am pleased your A5 is sorted. A lovely car!!

Hello Wayne,

Glad there is a simple resolution. A bleeding obvious statement, but tyres are the only thing to grip the road and react to the driver turning the steering wheel. Checking tyre pressures?? Well it can sometimes be the last thing the owner does. 

My standard always points me to have at the least the same make and pattern of tyres on the same axle, and preferably a matched set of four. All other things being equal, I tend to avoid cars with a mix of tyres - it can point to general lack of respect by the previous owner 

Hope you don’t mind me mentioning Wayne, but you are having good fortune with the seller funding a new set of tyres. If this were mine, I would be adding some money into the pot and ensuring the new tyres to be fitted are the best ones for the car - Dan has offered you a recommendation. If you don’t, then you are likely to end up with a set of budget tyres, or at best - mid range. I would be doing this once and wisely, to minimise the risk of longer term dissatisfaction.

Good luck and kind regards, 

Gareth.

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Wayne,

Glad there is a simple resolution. A bleeding obvious statement, but tyres are the only thing to grip the road and react to the driver turning the steering wheel. Checking tyre pressures?? Well it can sometimes be the last thing the owner does. 

My standard always points me to have at the least the same make and pattern of tyres on the same axle, and preferably a matched set of four. All other things being equal, I tend to avoid cars with a mix of tyres - it can point to general lack of respect by the previous owner 

Hope you don’t mind me mentioning Wayne, but you are having good fortune with the seller funding a new set of tyres. If this were mine, I would be adding some money into the pot and ensuring the new tyres to be fitted are the best ones for the car - Dan has offered you a recommendation. If you don’t, then you are likely to end up with a set of budget tyres, or at best - mid range. I would be doing this once and wisely, to minimise the risk of longer term dissatisfaction.

Good luck and kind regards, 

Gareth.

Hi well finally got car sorted turned out it was a mismatch of front tyres they changed them for back ones and car is perfect very happy but even happier as garage are going to replace all tyres free of charge as a good will gesture the difference is amazing can't wait to get new tyres fitted       hi thanks for all replies and advice I agree with you about getting better tyres I don't mind putting money in to get decent ones I had heard about uni royals and Dunlop sport where another make I had been recommended but yes I was convinced steering geometry was out or something worse just glad it's sorted thanks again for advice very much appreciated 

👍

Wayne. I have to say the Dunlop sports are the worst tyres I have ever used on a car. I had them on an A3 and golf 2.0TDI’s. the grip in the wet was simply terrible. I could just use the acceleration alone to come of roundabouts, without turning the steering wheel! A bit of fun perhaps but not confindence inspiring. 

Pits very wet where I am all the time BTW, here in sunny Scotland.

I don’t think you can beat personal experience, and all comments are worth studying and following on to form opinions from there. Currently, the Audi A3 and the non Audi, are running on Continentals. My experiences might not be worth much though,  since our motoring is not based on trying to get around corners on two wheels, but...... 

Dunlop? Personally never did much to tempt me into considering buying  them, but again, but.... 

Good luck with your considered decision, and if you base it on buy once and wisely, you shouldn’t go too too far wrong. 

Having chosen, keep a regular eye on the tyre pressures. Now that is good advice! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi thanks again Ive heard continentals are good. I had a seat Leon fr before this they where budget tyres on front certainly made high speed cornening fun in the wet. Drove the audi down motorway tonight gave it a good blast and absolutely solid so it was definitely tyres causing issue but I'll certainly take on board everyone's advice and experience. But I totally agree I won't go with budjet tyres I do like to drive a bit spirited and want to stay on the road and I'll avoid dunlops as well