Q7 humming noise behind passenger wheel?

Checkhook88

Hi all recently bought an Audi Q7 (6months ago), the last 2 weeks I’ve been having a noise coming from behind the passenger front wheel, almost sounds like a fan and it keeps draining my battery, I’ve taken the fuses out from under the bonnet which are for the cooling fans but they didn’t stop the noise. 

Just hoping someone can shed some light on this for me so I can get it sorted.

Thanks in advance 

chris.

p.s I’ll try and make a video of the noise later and upload it.

45 minutes ago, Checkhook88 said:

Hi all recently bought an Audi Q7 (6months ago), the last 2 weeks I’ve been having a noise coming from behind the passenger front wheel, almost sounds like a fan and it keeps draining my battery, I’ve taken the fuses out from under the bonnet which are for the cooling fans but they didn’t stop the noise. 

Just hoping someone can shed some light on this for me so I can get it sorted.

Thanks in advance 

chris.

p.s I’ll try and make a video of the noise later and upload it.

Sounds like the auxiliary heater is on. They are renowned for going wrong normally locking up and stopping working not staying on though. 🤔 I think the fuse for it is in the passenger side end of the dashboard behind the end panel when you open the door. Try pulling it out and see if it stops. The heater is behind the wheel arch lining just in front of the passenger door

• 2 years later...

Hello Lee, 

The original poster joined and last visited the forum a couple of days later - in excess of two and a half years ago.

Probably best to PM him in the hope he still has the same contact details.

Perhaps you could come back to us if you have any success. 

Battery:- Have you had the battery tested, and the alternator output, and had the car checked for a parasitic drain. If not, I would suggest this course of action in relation to the ‘dead’ battery.

Noise:- have you had the road wheel removed, and the tyre and wheel thoroughly inspected? Has the wheel bearing been checked for wear and noise? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Oddly enough mine did it about a year ago. Pulled the fuse on the passenger side of the dashboard for the auxiliary heater and the fan noise stopped and the battery stopped draining. Mine would do it periodically and I only found it because one morning when I came out to it I could hear the fan noise coming from the passenger wheel arch.

The auxiliary heaters on these are rubbish even starting the car on a cold morning with a low fuel level will cause them to lock out and you need vcds to unlock it! 😩

From memory the fuse is the only 20amp fuse on the top bank of the fuses