Private plate

Hello Steven,

It’s not too difficult, and it is indeed a quick process - from application, to be granted the new personalised number. 

The selling agency where you bought it? - will talk you through it, but effectively such numbers are usually on a Retention Certificate, and once you have this, you can actually do it all on line by just checking the DVLA site. DVLA-speak tends to make it sound complicated by using terms such as nominee and grantor etc. but i’m sure you will find your way through it. 

I’m pretty certain if you do it online then you will immediately have the necessary print out facility to be able authorised for getting the new plates made up. V5 will follow in a few day. 

Don’t forget to notify your insurers. Some may charge an admin. fee for this.

If by any chance you are buying this number privately then personally I would not pay any money until you have seen a Retention Certificate, which will cost the seller around £110 to acquire, and reasonably the seller would expect you to contribute the £80 transfer fee portion, which allows you to transfer the number to your car without further cost.

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the reply, I bought it off the DVLA website, I was thinking of using utopiaplates.co.uk to buy the plates in 4D (look smarter) I’ll get them and put them on myself then contact my insurer.