Petrol Fumes in car

Travinsky

Anybody have any idea why I am getting a strong smell of petrol inside my 2006 Audi A4 convertible. No warnings lights on dashboard or any sign of leak. The smell clears after running the car for a couple of miles. I have it booked in next week at the garage for a check up.

Hello Trevor,

Always difficult to suggest causes for such things - which can be numerous - and you really only have a chance of sorting it by getting it examined - as you are doing. 

Perhaps some additional information may help the garage, such as:- worse after fill up, or simply putting some fuel in, when stationary or when running, how long does the smell last etc. etc. 

Personally, I would be leaving the answers to some of these with the garage who is going to look at it.

Perhaps you could let us know what they come up with.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth, the last twice I have used Shell V-power fuel as alternative and have had the smell both times when I start up the car. Might be a coincidence. The smell is very strong especially at the passenger side but soon dissipates when driving.

Hopefully the garage will solve the problem.

Regards 

I have a similar issue with a 16 year old non-Audi, and I’ve just found out I can literally over fill it ( does not cut out on nozzle)  to the point where petrol will leak out. Yet to be investigated but believed to be filler hose /breather associated. Still it has just provided enjoyable transport for a 700 mile round trip to Brittany. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.