2016 A3 water in wheel well and under rear bench seat

Andy1012345

Hi all,

i have an ongoing problem with my audi a3 3door 1.6 diesel we have found that the wheel well carpet is soaking wet a few weeks ago so it went back to motodepot to get sorted they said they replaced air vents and seals in the rear. however i have gone to clean the car today and noticed that the water has returned and the rear bench is soaking too. upon lifting this there is water under the seat.

Any ideas where the water is coming from and how i can stop it?

Thanks in advance

Hello Andy, 

Sorry to hear of your leaking issues. Such things can be a pain and lead to misting up and smelly car interiors. Since no one else has replied, perhaps my reply may be of some use, but it’s nothing scientific I’m afraid! 

You have possibly already been-there-done-that, but:- 

Pick a dry day and thoroughly dry the inside of the car.

Strip out the boot area side and floor coverings and the internal rear light surrounds etc. Take the back seat out if you can, but certainly be able to lift the seat base. 

Get a trusting, good sighted little friend, and equip him with a good inspection lamp or torch, and stick him in the boot! 

With your hose pipe set on a localised spray, start to spray the lowest parts of the car, while said friend looks for water dribbling in. It’s important that you simply concentrate on the lowest points and keep the water localised. Only when you are satisfied there aren’t any leaks at that level, then move up in gradual localised levels, until you get to roof level. 

Sorry, I know it’s obvious, but... Just water spray locally and take your time. Flooding the outside of the car with water is quick, but not so effective in homing in on the specific leak site/s. 

Possible leak sites include. Seams ( repaired?)  , rear light seals, tailgate seals, rear wiper seal, rear screen,  flexible harness fitting points where wiring harness goes from main body into the tailgate, roof seams or hinge points. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

Is your A3 a hatchback? Look at the tail gate rubber if it is and also check any gutter drains around the opening of the hatch. For the water to be under the bench seat it is unlikely to be a rear door issue.

Is the head lining dry? Next entry point could be antenna - is is rear roof mount?

I would pull the trim from a hatch aperture and check carefully for sign of ingress. Had a Pug that leaked in the rear years ago and it was the hatch rubber at fault.