avant 1.8t rear wheel bearing

bradspit1

hi there, im new to audi just bought an a4 avant 1.8t (190) im needing a rear drivers side wheel bearing and wondered if mine has the abs sensor ring?

ive seen the wheel bearing on its own but also seen the complete assembly with the abs ring etc so wondered if it would be easier to just buy the whole assembly?

this is assuming the rears have the abs ring etc as well as the fronts? any help or info would be great thanks!

Hello Colin,

Good question. 

To start, personally I would not go with fitting a new wheel bearing into your existing hub. - too much effort for the work involved. 

If it’s of any help, we have just replaced the rear hub on a 2006 A3 due to an ABS warning light issue. There wasn’t a ‘stand alone’ ABS ring  on this hub. In fact no ring at all. As a I understand it the ABS is energised by a built in magnetic section into the hub casing - this being a very weak magnet which might be virtually undectable - but there. These magnets are so weak as to cause issues if their magnetism falls off slightly. 

I didn’t go with a VAG part this time but bought a good quality aftermarket one by Febi Bilstein. Worth looking on the old ? Bay for good prices.

Hope some of this may help.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

thanks for the reply. can anyone confirm that theres no abs ring on the rear of a4 avant 1.8T ? surely it cant be that bad to replace a wheel bearing that you,d rather replace the whole hub?

Sorry Colin, but you’ve lost me. 

Febi hub for A3 was c£48 delivered. Bearing on it own probably about mid £20s plus. Why would you want to be attempting to pull an old bearing out, and press (assume you’ve got a press) a new one in, for barely a £20 saving? The hub has to come off anyway! 

ABS ring, no ring? Thought I’d covered that. IF it’s the same as the A3 then no ring just a weak magnet - weak enough not to signal ABS after 13 years. New bearing in old hub? Pretty obvious outcome if yours is the same as A3. 

Anyway Colin, someone might shed the extra light on this that you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. You might well find the disc backing plate has rusted so would be well worth renewing while you are in there.

thanks again for the reply Gareth. the reason i posted again was your guessing that its the same as an a3 and id rather know for sure from an a4 avant owner or someone who has done the job that its the same or different. i do appreciate your advice as you are the only person to answer thus far. i will do a bit of googling and see what comes up.

best regards Colin.

• Like 1

ok found this on the bay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-1-8T-2-0FSI-2-5-3-0-1-9TDI-AVANT-ESTATE-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-HUB/220446469960?hash=item3353a22f48:g:7mcAAOxyakdREn-q

checked the compatibility chart and it says it fits my year. so from this i assume mine has the abs ring as pictured and is the right part?

any a4 avant  owners out there who can confirm or point me in the right direction if not?

any help much appreciated chaps thanks.

Hello Colin again,

Just a couple of personal-view comments on your eBay link:- 

Compatibility charts are notoriously unreliable, and I always, check the application is correct by passing the registration number on yo the supplier. 

Images should always be treated as simply generic and may or may not represent the image of the actual part you will receive. 

Again, personally, I would not touch this with a barge pole, since it has probably been manufactured a ‘ few miles east of the Thames estuary’ and could be of dubious quality. 

If it were mine I would be looking at Febi, and find the correct part number for your reg. no. Probably won’t cost you much more than this, and even if it does, it’s worth considering the savings made by a labour-free DIY. 

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem as if owners of your model are on here today to offer you alternative advice.

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Gareth thanks again for taking the time to respond. i have no problem paying the money for the right part, i just cant seem to get pointed towards the part i need! as you say there seems to be a lack of a4 avant owners around at the moment lol. more googling required i think.

Oh blinking heck Colin. 

Fair do s as we say in theses parts - your persistence in finding out whether this hub has an integral ABS sensor or an external ring has to be ‘admired’. Again you are looking at spurious makes. 

How about:- Googling the U.K. contact phone number for Febi and asking for their technical department ( I have talked with them in recent months). Simply ask them for their part number for the rear hub and do an eBay search (or contact sellers) for that part. External ABS ring or not?? - just get the right part, and it will be right! 

You search eBay illustrations for days looking at generic images and still remain confused! 

As I say, change the backing plate if not already changed. There are good quality German ones out there and not so good, not much cheaper, alternatives. 

When changing the hub (or bearing if you are still thinking about going down that road) you will need the correct large splined socket together with a good impact wrench - and of course a hub puller. 

Sorry no one else is offering you the alternative advice you might want.

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Gareth many thanks for constantly trying to help! this is also to be admired ! getting the right part seems to be the Achilles heel of all this! im gonna ring a local audi dealer and try and get help just thought some helpful a4 avant owner would have the answer and i could get the part ordered!

Hello Colin,

No problem at all in trying to help, but I fear I might be on the borderline of getting boring with this. 

I could have got this in a twist in my mind, but to me (and it might just be me!)  the situation comes over as you being hell bent on going about obtaining a now replacement rear hub ( rather than a bearing as originally wanted) in a very protracted and heavy weather fashion. 

Contacting an Audi dealer and getting a part number might be an option, but it would be worth bearing in mind that they are not daft, and don’t like wasting their time giving part numbers to assist buyers in their aftermarket quest to obtain the right part. 

If you want to order an Audi part then just get in touch and give them your reg.no. and they will supply you the correct part. 

If you want an ‘any old aftermarket part’ then just do likewise with your local motor factors. 

If you want a ‘quality’ aftermarket part such as Febi. then follow earlier advice. 

Blinking heck Colin - it’s taking you longer to worry about getting the right ( any old aftermarket ) part than it should to do the job! 

Good luck with sorting it out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.