Audi 80 cab 2.6 over cooling

Vinpetrol

Hi All 

I just picked up my 1999 cab and started the drive home. It has driven 350 miles with no issues other than it is over cooling and also a petrol smell. 
Im assuming thermostat for over cooling unless anyone tells me different ? Any common isssues that would cause petrol smell? 

cheers 

vin

Hello Vincent,

A faulty thermostat sounds the most likely diagnosis.

I would be wary of buying an aftermarket one, since they can be unreliable. OK, VAG ones are comparatively expensive, but worthwhile in terms of the potential for repeat labour, and the possibility of an aftermarket replacement causing overheating. 

Petrol smell?? Very difficult, but apart from the obvious fuel hoses, it would be worth looking at fuel filter connections and petrol filler breather tubes.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth 

thanks very much for your reply.

i certainly will keep post updated . The car needs quite a bit of attention so I’m sure I will be turning to the forum regularly. 

it did make the 500 mile journey home with no issues though so that’s a good start . 

I need to give it a good service now it’s home. 
any recommendations on what is good practice to change and what oil to use . ?
this is the first Petrol I’ve bought in over 20 years so I’m a bit rusty on servicing petrols. 

is there a manual available for them Haynes or other ? 

thanks again 

vin

Hello Vincent,

Thanks for coming back on this.

I think you are very wise to give the car a thorough service - it will endure you will have a good base point to move forward from for future maintenance. 

Good practice? For me, it’s always good quality materials, particularly since you will be making considerable savings by doing it yourself. 

I would change oil, air and fuel filters, and if not using genuine VAG parts then I have found Mann or Bosch brands to be good. Personally, I would not use any other brands, but simply search best prices for these brands. Air con? or too early. If it does then worth checking if it has a pollen filter, Engine oil? Please don’t accept this as accurate, but I would not be surprised if your car was originally designed to run on 10w/40 semi synthetic rather than the more modern 5w/30 fully synthetic. If 10w/40 is recommended then I have used Shell Helix in my similar age non-Audi. If (in caps) it is 5w/30, then I use Quantum Longlife 3. 

It seems you will be changing the thermostat, so a good opportunity to flush the system and renew the coolant with the correct antifreeze. The car was probably running on the old blue antifreeze, but check the current colour incase someone has updated it. 

Belts? Cambelt if not chain? Do you know when it was replace. Alternator belt :- always worth renewing. 

Obviously you will go through the braking system, tyres, hoses, etc. etc. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Haynes manual? I would have thought so ( unlike more current models). Worth checking on eBay