Engine oil

SBell

Hi I have a 2018 SQ7 tonight I get the message reduce engine oil on the screen . Now I haven’t put any oil in it so there shouldn’t be too much as last time I looked it was below the max .Any suggestions

Hello Stewart,

Please excuse my ignorance on the latest models,  but does the car have an actual dip stick, or just an electronic level switch? Your post, suggests it has a dip stick, but just to be sure. 

If a simple level switch, the handbook should state at what level it kicks in and what quantity needs to be added to return it to full. 1 ltr? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Reduce Engine oil is an ominous warning if true as it would suggest either over filling or something adding to the oil level. 

Without a dip stick you cannot easily pull one out and get an idea of oil quality but there are stories of old where regen overfueling has added unburnt diesel to the engine oil. Note the detrimental effect that any unsuitable fluid will have on engine lubrication. 

With the car being a year old I would be getting onto Audi smartish to have them check it out. It might be a slight overfill, it may be a failing sensor or it might be the additional fluids. My tech knowledge of the engine is low but general knowledge would guide me to having the oil quality checked sooner rather than later. 

Question: HAs your oil quality dropped - has it been picked up by a drop in miles to next service?

Apologies Stewart. Wrong end of the stick! Dipstick aptly comes to mind! Silly Billy, as was once said. 

Of course, Tom gives you the correct interpretation, and I would agree it is time to be concerned about the possibility of oil dilution. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the replies gents I’ve been away so it will be on to Audi tomorrow as I haven’t put any oil in for a while. And I checked level (electronic) last week and was below max

Well called out Audi assist AA guy turned up but was unable to drain any excess  .he called Audi tech support they ok’d taking car in the dealer only 2 miles apparently known issue on the sq7