Power problem?

Sigold83

Hello all.

So, I think they may be a problem with the electricity going to the boot..... after about halve a wipe, the wiper stops, and if I press the boot release more than once, it will not realise. It sounds slower each time. And sometimes, if I try and start the engine too quick, it just cuts straight out. Starts on the first turn every time. 

Any ideas? Do you think it may be a battery issue? 

Hello Simon,

It would be worth checking the wiring harness in the flexible section which links the body to the boot/hatch. Carefully peel back the outer flexible covering and check the individual wires, which often harden and can break following 18 years of opening and closing. Simple and worthwhile place to start your investigation.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Disconnect your battery before doing this wear vinyl gloves, use a torch, get your glasses to see what you're doing 🙂 Get the panel off the inside of the boot door, take a look at the cables, anything is obviously is out of kilter, consider if this is the issue. Also note any corrosion as this might alter the grounding/earthing of the wiper motor. Where does it earth? If the cable whizzes off somewhere, see if you can work out where and check that out.

As far as the half way thing, it could be that the worm gear (if it's that type) in the wiper motor might be worn out, or the gear that it turns. Have you felt it? Does it really push all the way like it should or is it definitely electrical? Wiper motors are ten a penny, and easy to replace. As for the starting issue, not sure. Can't surmise without more info. Take a look under the battery, I noticed only today that in that cavity water can collect and cause problem perhaps.

• 1 month later...

Simon 

I think I know exactly what this is as I had exactly the same.  Basically the rear screen wash goes through the centre of the wiper motor and an o ring has probably failed resulting in the screen wash spraying all over the inside of the bootlid and the wiper motor which has then caused corrosion in the motor and the boot lock.  So it will be a new wiper motor for sure (about £30) and maybe a boot lock (£80) - fitting doesn't take long - less than an hour.  For the o-ring - you don't get a new one with the wiper motor so either have a selection box to hand or get one from Audi.  I would replace the wiper motor first and at the same time take off the boot lock and spray with WD40 - it might be salvageable.  A second hand lock from eBay could be ok but I went through 2 (1 was faulty when it arrived-broken spade connector in the socket) and eventually bought a new one off eBay.  The solenoid is less than £20 and is an easy fit.