Audi A3 1.4 tfsi rear brake pads small in carrier

32fordratrod

Hi I have a A3 1.4 tfsi 2009 Ian having problems with the rear pads Iam trying to install new brembo pads but it seems the pads are mm too small for the carrier and you can move them up and down have even tried oem pads from my local audi parts department with exactly the same amount of play when spoke to audi they say the carriers must be worn but iam not so sure dont see how they can wear like that in 9 years has anyone had this problem before the old pads had a little play but not as much as both new sets of pads thanks  in advance Mike 

Not sure I properly understand the question in the absence of any punctuation. Are you saying the pads are narrower, shorter, or thinner than the caliper? There must be an Audi specification somewhere that gives the dimensions, but off-hand I don't know where.

Hi yes sorry was a quick message it's my wife's car  was trying to get sorted 

It seems the pad length is smaller as the pad has up and down movement in the pad carrier. It's been really hard to explain .my new pads came with the plates the ears of the pad sit on I can only get  1 in there that takes up the play.

But doesn't seem right and there must be another issue but have never come across this and have been a mechanic for 15 years.iam starting to think the carrier must be the issue. But thought I'd ask and see if anyone has had a similar problem  thanks 

Hello Michael,

I too am not sure quite what you are trying to say here. My feeling is that you are talking about the pad steel backing plate, but I could be wrong. 

This is going to appear unhelpful Michael, but I think it’s fair to say forum members may have some difficulty helping here without sight of the car, if with your 15 years of experience - with the car to hand - you are struggling to explain it. 

Audi dealer pads:- were these sold to you following you giving them the registration number? I only ask incase there was a change over to a different calliper around that time.

Comparing old pads (backing plates) with the new ones you are trying to fit? Have you done this? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi the pad is moving in the where the pad sits before putting the caliper back on I have never in my time come across this I baffled I have a video I've upload 

Yes reg was given but video is with aftermarket pads but was exactly the same with OEM  

If I need to I will try get better pictures in the light tomorrow 

My disc size is 255 i have confirmed all that via sticker under boot mat just thinking that is going to make 1 hell of a noise thanks 

Hello Michael,

You haven’t told us how the current pads compare with the ones that were originally in there. 

I could be me, but personally nothing seems to be showing as absolutely wrong to me. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi garath the old pads where a little loose but there is  more movement in new pads.

i know it’s going to be safe was just not sure and thought I’d ask see if this movement was usual I think iam going to install pads with the 1 shim plate installed to take up the gap (I feel if the gap is there the pads will clunk when brakeing while reversing but may be wrong ) for now until I find what is wrong I will measure the carrier for reference and  get it back together and see where is at thanks I really appreciate your input.

thanks mike 

• Like 1

Michael.

I see what you mean about the length-wise movement and the possibility of movement & clunking in reverse gear, but I am not sure it is significant. I admit I have not changed my own Audi pads, but on previous cars there was always a small amount of slack, and of course as rust builds up on the steel backing that gap will reduce. Perhaps the slack is to allow for rust and/or expansion as things get hot. I really don't know.