Which A3?

Wilfster

Evenin' All,

I don't own an A3 yet but am thinking of buying one, so would appreciate some advice from those of you in the know.

Decisions I've made so far:

• Petrol engine, 1.8 or 2.0. (The S3 is beyond budget and more than I need.)
  • Up to 3 years old, or a bit older if very low mileage.
  • Not black, white or grey. (I know that narrows down the choice a lot!)
  • 5 doors, hatchback.

Questions I want to ask you:

• Is it straightforward to tune the 1.8 or 2.0 up to about 220bhp? (That's what I'm used to).
  • What are the pros and cons of the automatic box? I've always preferred manuals, but I can see that the DSG would change gear faster than I can, so improving acceleration and making the best of the power output. On the other hand, it takes away some of the driving pleasure and brings extra complexity and maintenance issues. What do you think?
  • What are the benefits of the quattro? I understand better traction on slippery/icy roads. Beyond that, what is the point? Is it any more sure-footed moving away from rest? Is the extra complexity/cost worth it? How reliable is the 4 wheel drive set up?
  • I'm uneasy about the electronic handbrake. Does this tend to cause problems? When was it introduced and is it possible to get an A3 with a traditional handbrake?
  • Excluding the colours I dislike, my main option seems to be red. I like the blue often seen on S3s (is it Navarra Blue?). Is this available on the A3?

I hope the above list doesn't come across as negative. I like the styling of the A3 and I'm familiar with VAG group engineering and build quality, but I would appreciate your help to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Engines are easily tuneable with a remap and the dsg gearbox is great and best auto on the market. Make sure it's been serviced ras per serving intervals. If the gear changes aren't smooth or isn't engaging gears this can be caused by old gearbox oil at the very least.

Quattro is useful when loss if traction but for general use 2wd is fine. Also make sure all tyres match and tread wear is even as uneven tyre wear can damage the system. Electronic handbrakes are easy to get used to, when you get the biting point the handbrake automatically releases but has to be engaged manually. 

Hope I've helped

Cheers

Steve

On 4/10/2020 at 1:38 PM, Steve Q said:

Engines are easily tuneable with a remap and the dsg gearbox is great and best auto on the market. Make sure it's been serviced ras per serving intervals. If the gear changes aren't smooth or isn't engaging gears this can be caused by old gearbox oil at the very least.

Quattro is useful when loss if traction but for general use 2wd is fine. Also make sure all tyres match and tread wear is even as uneven tyre wear can damage the system. Electronic handbrakes are easy to get used to, when you get the biting point the handbrake automatically releases but has to be engaged manually. 

Hope I've helped

Cheers

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Help much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wilf

I didn't respond earlier, because my feeble 1.4 (150 hp) doesn't really relate to what you're looking for!

However, I can state that even my feeble 150 hp, through a DSG box, can often embarrass the ESP, resulting in much scrabbling for grip.

But what prompted me to contribute was a recent loan of a 190 hp 2 litre 2wd A3, which was considerably worse when attempting enthusiastic acceleration, and I suspect that Audi's recent decision to offer that engine with 4wd only was in response to this problem.

So it struck me that 220 hp might well benefit from having all four wheels driven...

Sorry if I'm a bit late, and you've already committed to a car!

Steve

21 hours ago, oake said:

Hi Wilf

I didn't respond earlier, because my feeble 1.4 (150 hp) doesn't really relate to what you're looking for!

However, I can state that even my feeble 150 hp, through a DSG box, can often embarrass the ESP, resulting in much scrabbling for grip.

But what prompted me to contribute was a recent loan of a 190 hp 2 litre 2wd A3, which was considerably worse when attempting enthusiastic acceleration, and I suspect that Audi's recent decision to offer that engine with 4wd only was in response to this problem.

So it struck me that 220 hp might well benefit from having all four wheels driven...

Sorry if I'm a bit late, and you've already committed to a car!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Insights like yours are very helpful and will contribute to me making the right choice. I'm not planning to change car till after the lockdown, whenever that is, so you're not too late.

Thanks,

Wilf