Audi ETron Charging Cable Supplied not sufficient

Julesss

I purchased an Audi Etron 55 in March and had Pod Point 7KW Home Charge Unit installed at my house. The charge cable Audi supplied is a Type 2-Type 2 20A 480V cable. Using this cable with Pod Point charger, when my battery was 77% charged, the charge time given was 12hours 23 minutes to charge 23%!! Audi advertise a (100%) charge time of 10.5 hours (AC 7KW home wallbox).

I think that the charge cable supplied with the new car is not sufficient to draw 7KW. The 20A cable can only draw 4.8KW (20Ax240V). Should Audi have supplied a 32A cable as standard?.

Has anyone else had this problem & taken it up with Audi. At this rate, a full 100% charge using my Home Charge Unit would take 48 hours, which is not acceptable.

I have had to resort to using the rapid charger point, 5 minutes drive from my house, where the charge point has its own cable. This takes just 2 hours to charge from 15% to 100%.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't aware of this.... but I plan on buying a new Type2-Type2 32A  10metre cable when I get my Home point installed.  (I only have a hybrid TFSIe.

For me, it is the length of the supplied cable that is the problem.... it really constrains where I can park on the drive in relation to where the point will be installed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've done more digging on charge times (and cables).  You're right (obviously), the supplied Type2-Type2 cable is only 20A... which will never achieve the theoretical times from Audi.  But there are other "things" which will get in the way of achieving the theoretical times.

UK Homes generally get around 230V.  So a 20A cable will theoretically get 4.3kW of load.  But due to loss you can generally drop that to 80%, ie: 3.68kW.

Even with a 30A cable, you would have a theoretical load of 7.36kW, dropping to around 5.88kW with the 80% adjustment.

if your eTron has the 83.6kW battery, that would mean a 0-100% time of 14hrs, or with the upgraded 95kW battery 16hrs.

I've been doing timed tests with both my Home "Granny" plug and with commercial PodPoints (etc) and the 80% reduction seems pretty accurate (with a 230V load).