A4 B8 2.0 TDI Ultra - Timing Belt Tensioner Failure

jrmcleod

Hey all,

Just wanted to post a thread on my experience (still ongoing) regards a timing belt tensioner failure.

I own a 2015 2.0tdi Ultra. Love the car, very economical for my commute (100 miles) and still packs a bit of punch when needed.  The week before the UK went into lockdown, i organised to get the timing belt, tensioners and water pump replaced at my local Audi dealer.  Came in at around £745.  It was due in July (Now) so thought it best to get it done as there were rumours of lockdown in March and was worried i wouldnt get it done in time and i had no idea on how long the garages would be closed.

Anyway, my wife as a Nurse still used the car between March and June for her shift work, i drove it a couple of times between March and June on a decent journey just to keep the diesel engine in good condition so to speak as my wife was using it for short distances.

In early/mid June, we had a sudden family death 100 miles away.  The funeral allowed 30 people, and my wife was one of them.  We decided to go down to the funeral and on the way home, after 150 miles, at a round about, in second gear, the engine just suddenly failed.  The only way i could describe it was like a stall but it sounded like a wheel had come off.  The auto-restart kicked in and it wouldnt start at all. totally dead. No engine management lights on at all, but knew straight away it was a bad problem.

Got the car recovered to the same Audi garage as the timing belt was changed as i figured they were by far the best people to diagnose the issue.  Luckily for me, the weekend the car broke down, the monday following was when the dealership reopened for repairs and servicing.

They kindly organised a courtesy car for me, and a month on, the car is due to be repaired and available this friday.

Between the breakdown and now, i have been approved under warranty for the entire engine and all labour for the car to be repaired, and i have been told by the dealer that its upwards of £20,000 worth of damage and labour costs.

My questions are, is this even realistic? Its an extreme amount of money and the car isn't worth that amount - i paid £12,000 for it in October 2019 with 30,000 miles on the clock. It had only done 45,000 when i got the belt and kit changed.  Secondly, what kind of damage must have been caused/repaired for such extreme numbers? and thirdly, with a brand new engine going in, do you think i am safe to keep hold of this car or should i get rid of it due to fear of reoccurrence of the same issue going forward?

Hello Jamie,

Sorry to hear of your issues. Unusually bad luck, so quickly after getting the belt assembly renewed.

As a matter of interest, did they renew the water pump at the same time, and also the auxiliary belt?  

Cost to repair? Sounds like an exaggeration, but...... Irrespective, it will be zero cost to you, and I guess you will have a courtesy for the duration of the repair? 

Actual repair? To me, it would seem to be a more economical route to fit a replacement engine rather than repair yours - if that estimate is correct. 

Keeping the car thereafter? I think if it were mine, I would be more reassured if a new engine was fitted than if yours was repaired. If repaired, I would want to know exactly what work was carried out, before deciding to keep or not. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hey Gareth,

Yes, they replaced the water pump and aux belt.

From what i can gather, its a whole new engine, but i was curious if it would simply be the engine block itself, or other parts such as turbo, cat etc?  I was initially told it was £11,000, then when i got a call back i was told it was upwards of £20,000.

The tensioner was sent away to Audi technical for examination.

• Like 1