EPC and Check engine light on

ryanpg

I haven't driven the car properly for 3 months due to being away with work, but I came back on Monday go to start my car and EPC light is on, I drive on but notice that the car is down on power but can go over 3000RPM, turned it off and back on again after about an hour and the light was still there but went off and power was back to normal and then it came on again whilst driving as well as the check engine light this time, basically just repeated the steps and this time the EPC light went off but the check engine light stayed on, then both of them went off. Took it to the dealership, all they said to do was fill it up at BP, drive around for 15 minutes and see if it goes off and if it doesn't then book it in. 

Hello Ryan, (from the home Town)

I would say the advice given to you (by Mr. Sinclair’s empire?) seems sound. 

If it were mine, I too would fill it up with non supermarket fuel (I use Texaco next to the Tech. - no connection) having first added half a bottle of Redex. I would then give it a relatively gentle 10 mile run to get it fully up to operating temperature - switching off and on if restricted performance. I would then take it for a good 50 mile ‘hard’ drive, keeping the revs. up in lower than normal gears. i.e. an ‘Italian Tune’. Hopefully, that should wake it up!  

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi mate,

you are right with Mr Sinclair's Empire hahaha,

I have basically done that today, took it for an 'Italian service' and both the warning lights are off the dashboard and the car is running smoothly, so I am assuming that it is fine for now anyway. Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. 

Ryan. 

• Like 1