Moderators

I live in a small Cotswold village of about five hundred people.  Almost without exception the population is comprised of retired, middle class, executive management types who, in their day, worked for a multinational conglomerate which had its global head office a few miles away.

The village is on a sharp bend which slows traffic down appreciably.   We have had two accidents in fifteen years, both due to black ice.  Despite this the villagers are campaigning for cameras, chicanes, speed bumps etc.   I have no strong opinion on this, largely because I expect they are inevitable.     However, the three moderators of the village Facebook page has now banned further discussion on the matter.   This incenses me.

How are moderators chosen ,  can they be requested to resign , do they hold the position in perpetuity ?

Cheers.

Hello Steve,

Good question - I have just been ‘thrust/promoted’ into such a position! 

I avoid Facebook, but do keep an eye on our village website, and it appears that such sites can be dominated by he/she who holds the key, so to speak, and as in your example, they can grab to ball and say they are not playing. Certainly not democratic! 

I can sympathise with your potential ‘safety improvements’ since our village was subjected to numerous speed bumps, chicanes etc. to deter traffic from using the route to by pass a set of lights. Yes, they did reduce that irritation, but with the result that the villages are now constantly subjected to these inconveniences. The scheme simply wasn’t thought through, and it was surprising how it appeared to be influenced by a small number of villagers who took on the role of ‘experts’.

If it were me, I would be setting up an article in your local paper and campaigning for an open meeting, and highlighting the unacceptable ‘closed book’ situation which now exists within the Facebook group. 

Make sure any debate is fair and square, and doesn’t end up going around in circles, where a decision may be made - if you see what I mean! 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.