Aircon running warm

Jonno

Hey There, i've just picked up a 2010 A4 and the air con is not really running cold. Has anyone used those DIY kits that Amazon sell to top up the refrigerant or is not that simple? 

Many thanks for your response. 

J

Hello Jon,

I’m not really sure how much these Amazon kits are, but you should find quite a few smaller garages even, will top up the gas for a modest charge, so I wonder about the overall economics vs. the unknown any-good? factor. 

Nor wishing to be pessimistic, but Audi air con. systems can be somewhat troublesome and it may not simply be a case of topping up the gas. It would be worth searching the forum for recent issues with air con pressure sensors for example.

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth, I understand what you're saying but just a bit skeptical of garages of any size really. Unless you take your car their often, trust is always an unknown. However, got to start somewhere i guess. 

thanks for the advice. 

Hello Jon,

Obviously your (DIY?) call, but having a general distrust for garages of all ‘sizes’ isn’t really healthy. 

Trust is always two way, and as you say you have to start somewhere, and simply asking around friends and acquaintances usually leads you towards making a good start.

May sound daft, but enquire about recommendations at local small car sales sites. These chaps remain in business by knowing where to get good work done at competitive rates - so always worth an ask. Now don’t tell us you you don’t really trust some of these as well! I’m sure you do. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hello Jon,

Does this small local garage have to equipment to de gas, check, and re gas your air con system? I guess that may be a daft question - we must take it they do, otherwise why would you want to waste £75, rather than going to a local garage who has the equipment and expertise. 

Hey Buddy - Well, told him it was an aircon issue, told him it was not blowing air con cold so what's a man to do? He asked what type it was and when i said A4 Avant B8 he said no problem. They will run the 'diagnostics' on the aircon system to check it first - hence the £75. So i'm hoping they do. I'll spend that to find out what the issue is then based on the advice i get, work out the plan for the next stage. 

I'll report back next week. The good thing is, the summer is over in the UK so it's not like i'm melting. 

Update:

All fixed. it was in fact the lack of Aircon gas as expected. Total cost £102. It would have been £65 from amazon, however, i think the extra money has been worth it as i'm now in touch with a small local garage. Fixed just in time for the winter... lol.

thanks Magnet!

• Like 1

That's a relief as it's surprising how you need all year round

Bought an old Porsche Boxter a couple of months ago with the same problem. Excellent service from local Halfords Autocentre (words I never thought I'd write) who re-gassed the Aircon, checked the pipework and also did a battery check for £80. 

Problem solved.