New member (and question on broken airbox part!)

ReefH

Hello all. I recently acquired a 1999 A6 Avant 1.8T SE, which I am intending to 'lovingly' restore as far as possible!

In my naivety trying to remove the air filter, I was messing around with the elements on top of the air box and inadvertently snapped the part shown in the photos. Is anybody able to a) - let me know what parts I now need to source and replace, and b) - tell me how the hell you remove those silver clips?!

Thanks in advance!

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

a1.jpg

Hello Sherif,

If you fail to find a replacement, then it should be possible to effect a repair by sleeving between the cylinder and the off take pipe, and bonding them together with quality 2-part Araldite glue.

These clips are known as hog ring clips and are single use, having been compressed  with a special pliers which crimps the clip by creating the ‘loop’. They are removed destructively - by cutting or hacksawing through the loop. Replace with new like for like ( by buying the special pliers) if originality is meaningful. If not, replace with conventional jubilee clips.

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth - thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Do you know what that exact component is called? I note you mention the cylinder and off take pipe, but I am struggling to search this on various sites.

Hello Sherif,

Sorry I don’t know what the part is called, but there are two ways around this:- 

if driveable by some botch repair, then simply take the car to the parts department of your local main dealer and seek their advice. Be aware, the part may not actually be available due to the age of the car. 

Second option if not drirveable, woot be to take your photo along, together with reg. and VIN details and enquire at the main dealer. I both cases, I would not be attempting to try to do this via. phone or e-mail.

Kind regards,

Gareth.