Which is the better choice

Robin Pounder

I am looking at buying my first A3 and am considering two promising cars which fit my requirements. Both cars are in similar condition with similar histories and prices, but they are both different models.

A 2005 1.6 Sport with 62000 miles on the clock, at £ 3995, and a 2008 1.4 TFSI Sport S-Tronic with 86500 miles at £4495. They are both automatic.

Which, in an ideal world should be the better car? I am not overly concerned about performance, the car will be used around town and for travelling ( eventually ).

Do both or either of these engines have timing belts, or chains?

Hello Robin,

The 2005 1.6 seems very much overpriced to me for a 15 year old car - albeit with low mileage ( not always a good thing in terms of having down short journeys). The fact that they are automatics makes them generally less attractive to the average buyer, and should be  reflected in a lower than normal price, but.....

Automatics don’t generally like short journeys - as you would expect - and are likely to need (expensive?) oil changes. 

We have a 2006 1.6 A3 and this certainly has a cambelt, but you will need to check if your 1.6 does. If so, they should be replaced every 5 years irrespective of mileage, so would be due now at 15 years old. 

The 1.4? Don’t know, but believe chain, but someone on here will be specific. I wouldn’t assume chain = trouble free, since tensioners can give issues. 

On a more general note, are both these cars for sale in your locality? If not, I would be vary wary since you have to consider the (im) practicalities of returning the car to the seller for any warranty work.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy any car outside of my area if a warranty is important. If you are prepared to forgo any warranty issues then of course it’s fine to travel - where you are allowed. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.