Rs6 oil

Kevin hall

What spec oil does a 2015 rs6 require..planning on changing it yearly..had various options advised..says 502 in the book but had 507 suggested...bought some castrol 5w40 edge off eBay..it said 502 on the listing but when  i got the oil the spec on the can is 505 00/505 01..contacted the supplier and they say it's ok to use..its a bit confusing now..can anyone answer this..cheers

Hello Kevin,

You ask what spec. oil should be used, and my recommendation in all these cases is the consult your owner’s handbook. In there, you will find both grade (sometimes according to climate) and specification, and personally, I would not deviate from there. 

Re. an eBay seller advising spec.A is the same as spec.B? Well, possibly - if you add a pinch of salt! 

Re. brands - I stick to Quantum Longlife 3 (also available on EBay) for our humble A3 - using the handbook grade of 5w/30. Quantum is/was VAG recommended. 

Another possible source of information would be the variety of specifications available under the Shell Helix Ultra Professional banner -making sure it’s the Ultra Professional. I’m sure some Audi specs. were available, but which ones?  I recently got some of this for a non Audi, from Car Parts for Less, who were doing a good deal.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Yes it's just got a little confusing...says in handbook 502 00 which was what i purchased on eBay..when it came it had 505 00 on the back...so i msgd the seller saying this wasn't what i ordered.. sent them the reg number and asked if it was suitable..took them ages to reply and they said it was ok to use but I dont think it is...according to google on vw oil specs 505 range is for diesel engines so dont think it is the right oil

Hello Kevin,

I believe (in caps) that 505 is the longer life variant of 502, and is suitable for diesels as well as petrol, so 505 should be a better alternative, but......  the true answer lies with Castrol, not me.

If it were mine, I would be looking up the phone contact for Castrol technical Dept and giving them a ring with your query and concern, and they will give you the definitive answer. 

Perhaps you would be kind enough to come back and let the forum know the outcome Kevin. 

As a matter of interest, how often to you change the oil and filter? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth.. I've not had the car long enough to change the oil yet but ideally would be changing it once a year..this is the 3rd rs6 I've had since march..the first one after I'd bought it i noticed a lot of faults with the body work..grommets missing on the doors which on closer inspection turned out it had a lot of panels changed on it so that put me off it so had to get rid of it..bought the second one then realised afterwards it wasn't type approved to tow with as i tow a caravan due to it having different suspension system compared to the 1st one..so I'm on the 3rd which is type approved to to with complete with audi towbar so hopefully I'll be keeping this one!  Its just had a full service in Feb so wont need doing till next year..i will email.castrol oil and see what they say about the oil

Didn't have time to ring them and I've only just finished work so no chance of getting in touch...you feel free to contact them and pass on what they say..and i dont want to be listening to someone baffling me with science about the technical spec of some oil for 10 mins just want to know what to put in it

Rather terse Kevin, and yes, based on this, it’s still possible that someone might just step out of line and actually help you. But the likelihood of this ??

Still.......

However - still kind regards,

Gareth.