Timing Belt

Brenda

Hi,

I am totally new on here, I purchased 2016 Audi Q 5 in March just before lockdown, took it for a service to same garage I purchased it, this Friday, they are saying that it needs the timing belt changed due to the year registered (not the miles), I'm thinking that surely when I purchaed it they should have mentioned this to me, or even they should have changed the timing belt. Thinking of querying this with them but would it be out of order for me to do this ?  Any advice would be appreciated

Hello Brenda from the Homeland.

Thanks for being in touch.

I wonder if you could let us know whether you bought the car from an Audi dealership or not. 

If not a main dealer, is there any particular reason why you returned to the seller for servicing? 

First, it needs to be established whether the car is fitted with a timing belt or a chain, but if fitted with a belt, then the seller will (quite rightly?) claim that renewing the timing belt is a service item which is chargeable to the owner, and they are likely to have a complete disregard to the fact that you have to (again quite rightly?) pay for this service item. Apologies for being the devil’s advocate, but service history and what has been done, and what will be required to be done in terms of service items in the near future will be seen as the responsibility of the buyer - i.e. doing the homework. 

Having said all that Brenda, If it were mine, I would be nipping the car down to your nearest main dealer, and checking what has been done, checking if your engine is belt or chain driven, and if a belt, checking when it should be renewed. Belts are almost always scheduled for renewal at x years or x miles - whichever comes first. x years is usually 5 years, irrespective of mileage. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your reply, I purchased the car from a local Garage, I had it serviced by them as I paid extra for 2 services and the next MOT.  They said it was a belt and that it needs renewing because of the year (2016), not the mileage, in all fairness the mechanic said that if is was his car he would wait until next year, however, I had a belt go on me before and had to have a recondiitoned engine put in (that was an AUdi TT), which was a nightmare and another long story, so for peace of mind I may go ahead and have it done, also needs a Gear box service, the cost of the timing belt with, the water pump is £273 and the Gear Box service is £289. 00.

I just feel that as I paid quite a lot for the car in March, they could have mentioned about the timing belt to me, however I take on board what our saying about doing my own homework. Just fell in love with it.  Probably feeling a bit fed up due to not expecting this. I think the nearest dealer to me is Cardiff and I'm wondering is it really worth taking it there or just get it done.  

Hello Brenda,

Many thanks for coming back with the additional information. Not much point in going backwards, but signing up for services and MOT is the road to putting more money into the seller’s pocket, and particularly in respect of MOTs where it can be lucrative to find issues which they can then charge you for. In addition, you don’t have any control over the quality of the parts used for the services, or possibly the type/level of service you are getting for your money.

Anyway, going forward:- I would still do what I suggested and check (with Cardiff Audi - now Mon Motors?) that it is belt driven, and whether ( from the reg. no.) there is a record of it being changed. You can also check their prices, but worth asking if there is a promotional price for the belt - in particular - there often is. 

Back to those who sold you the vehicle:- ask the mechanic who said you can wait until next year to change the belt ( if it’s now due) if he would like to guarantee his advice! It seems your previous unfortunate experience will stand you in good stead as far as his statement is concerned. Second, and very important consideration, is what parts are they going to use? Aftermarket parts can be of variable quality, particularly water pumps, and personally I would only use main dealer parts for this critical application. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.